"Pompeii's Little Brother" Herculaneum by Jim35
Herculaneum Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 66 photos
Just a couple of train stops from Pompei, Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi) was buried by the same eruption that buried Pompei, but in a mudslide rather than by lava and hot ash. This actually preserved items and buildings in the small town better than those of Pompei. Frescos still adorn the walls and ceilings, mosaics still cover the floors and fountains, and wooden lentils and even scraps of rope were preserved. In Pompei, most wall decorations, floor tiling, sculptures and household items have been removed to the National Archeological Museum in Napoli. In Herculaneum, however, much of the preserved items remain in their original locations and context. Additionally, samples of preserved seeds, roots, and plant material were taken from garden areas and ancient gardens have been replanted with the same types of plants that may have been there originally.
The overall effect is a site that is smaller but more well preserved than Pompei. If you have the extra time, and are interested in this sort of thing, Herculaneum is worth the visit.
- Pros:Smaller than Pompeii but better preserved.
- Cons:If you didn't like Pompeii, skip this.
- In a nutshell:Similar to Pompeii
Jim35's Related Pages
Herculaneum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ruins of the Roman Resort Town"
- "Ercolano / Herculaneum"
- "Herculaneum (Ercolano) Italy"
- "Herculaneum & Pompeii"
- "What a difference 40 years make"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Herculaneum
- Transportation in Herculaneum
- Restaurants in Herculaneum
- Warnings and Dangers in Herculaneum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Herculaneum
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Herculaneum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Herculaneum
Photos in HerculaneumSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 1 review, 32 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naples Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manhattan Beach Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shreveport 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grand Saline Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 2 travelogues