"Deutschland" Germany by skullcrusher
Germany Travel Guide: 56,012 reviews and 163,715 photos
Ignore any negative stereotypes you´ve heard about Germans and German society. This is a wonderful country to visit. I have traveled through this country many times and have visited some of the main cities on occasion. I discuss Berlin on a seperate page.
FRANKFURT: Several people argue that the people in Frankfurt generally are not very friendly and that it´s not really a German town (due to the fact that so many people from other countries live there). Despite the detractors, whom are correct in many ways, I still find Frankfurt to be a good place to hang-out for a few days or even a week.
It has some very good museums: my favorites being the Liebieghaus (Museum of Ancient Sculpture) and the Stadelsches Kunstinstitutes which showcases some excellent gothic paintings.
The nightlife scene ( I admit it can be quite sleazy ) is very active and "in your face" with something to do no matter what your proclivity may be. Take a stroll through the RLD area near the Main Train Station in the evening and you´ll see what I mean.
The fact is that Frankfurt happens to be a major international hub and this not only makes it an interesting city but also serves as an excellent base for excursions to other areas of Germany and other countries as well.
COLOGNE: Though it also has a large immigrant population, Cologne has maintained a more relaxed and ''German'' feel to it. Certainly, the highlight is a visit to the very large Dom\Cathedral which is right beside the Hauptbahnhof (which is noteworthy for it´s eateries, transport services, post, etc). It also has some good museums, plus many other good photo opportunities as you wander around the city.
For shopping: if you are a music lover then definitely drop by the Saturn House (Hansahochaus). Built in 1925, it used to be the tallest building in Europe. Now it contains the world´s largest record\CD shop and you can find some really good deals here. If you want to get a nice gift for your mother or girlfriend then pick up some ''Eua de Cologne'' from the 4711 house. It´s located on Glockengasse street.
MÜNICH: a beautiful and historic town nestled in the heart of Barvaria. This city is best known for the annual "Octoberfest" event when hordes of people invade the town and indulge in the many varieties of that delightful poison ...... BEER!!
HAMBURG: In the northern park of the country. Hamburg is a nice city that has some good parks, museums, and old buildings. In the downtown the ruins of St. Nikolai Church has a lift you can take to the top for good views of the city. I was also quite impressed the the Rathaus (town hall). The city has many afflient residents; unfortunately it also has a lot of druggies, homeless, & criminal types. With a large "sin-city scene", this town reminds me a lot of Frankfurt.
- Pros:Good beer, excellent variety of food, and orderly society
- Cons:Weather that´s often not much better than Britain
skullcrusher's Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Discover Germany’s incredible diversity"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Naples Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Colorado Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Berlin Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Bulgaria Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Ecuador Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Madrid Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Curitiba Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6866 Reviews - 15332 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4309 Reviews - 9910 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2162 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1667 Reviews - 3684 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3988 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1453 Reviews - 3460 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 883 Reviews - 2997 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1189 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos