"Deutschland" Germany by skullcrusher
Germany Travel Guide: 57,198 reviews and 168,325 photos
Ignore any negative stereotypes you´ve heard about Germans and German society. This is a wonderful country to visit. I have traveled through this country many times and have visited some of the main cities on occasion. I discuss Berlin on a seperate page.
FRANKFURT: Several people argue that the people in Frankfurt generally are not very friendly and that it´s not really a German town (due to the fact that so many people from other countries live there). Despite the detractors, whom are correct in many ways, I still find Frankfurt to be a good place to hang-out for a few days or even a week.
It has some very good museums: my favorites being the Liebieghaus (Museum of Ancient Sculpture) and the Stadelsches Kunstinstitutes which showcases some excellent gothic paintings.
The nightlife scene ( I admit it can be quite sleazy ) is very active and "in your face" with something to do no matter what your proclivity may be. Take a stroll through the RLD area near the Main Train Station in the evening and you´ll see what I mean.
The fact is that Frankfurt happens to be a major international hub and this not only makes it an interesting city but also serves as an excellent base for excursions to other areas of Germany and other countries as well.
COLOGNE: Though it also has a large immigrant population, Cologne has maintained a more relaxed and ''German'' feel to it. Certainly, the highlight is a visit to the very large Dom\Cathedral which is right beside the Hauptbahnhof (which is noteworthy for it´s eateries, transport services, post, etc). It also has some good museums, plus many other good photo opportunities as you wander around the city.
For shopping: if you are a music lover then definitely drop by the Saturn House (Hansahochaus). Built in 1925, it used to be the tallest building in Europe. Now it contains the world´s largest record\CD shop and you can find some really good deals here. If you want to get a nice gift for your mother or girlfriend then pick up some ''Eua de Cologne'' from the 4711 house. It´s located on Glockengasse street.
MÜNICH: a beautiful and historic town nestled in the heart of Barvaria. This city is best known for the annual "Octoberfest" event when hordes of people invade the town and indulge in the many varieties of that delightful poison ...... BEER!!
HAMBURG: In the northern park of the country. Hamburg is a nice city that has some good parks, museums, and old buildings. In the downtown the ruins of St. Nikolai Church has a lift you can take to the top for good views of the city. I was also quite impressed the the Rathaus (town hall). The city has many afflient residents; unfortunately it also has a lot of druggies, homeless, & criminal types. With a large "sin-city scene", this town reminds me a lot of Frankfurt.
- Pros:Good beer, excellent variety of food, and orderly society
- Cons:Weather that´s often not much better than Britain
skullcrusher's Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Germany - my beautiful home country :-)"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Naples Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Colorado Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Berlin Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Bulgaria Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Ecuador Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Madrid Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Curitiba Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6982 Reviews - 15640 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4322 Reviews - 10033 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1609 Reviews - 4011 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 951 Reviews - 2159 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1466 Reviews - 3484 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1733 Reviews - 3744 Photos
- Leipzig Hotels
- 515 Reviews - 1102 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1105 Photos
- Mainz Hotels
- 323 Reviews - 738 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 932 Reviews - 3138 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 615 Reviews - 1596 Photos
- Hannover Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 2124 Photos
- Trier Hotels
- 580 Reviews - 1449 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Flensburg Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 59 Photos