"Eu Adoro Rio de Janeiro!" Rio de Janeiro by skullcrusher
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,628 reviews and 6,543 photos
Though no longer a cheap destination, Rio is a great place to kick back and relax for a few weeks or more. I love to enjoy the beauty of Rio, eating the food and dancing to the music. The Cariocas (as they're called in Rio) are in general very friendly and laid back. I have found it easy to meet people on the beach and if you show up more than a few days you could make some lifelong friends. Rio has a great nightlife and if I have to explain it to you then you really need to get out more. It is a paradise for single (or not) guys and is great for women as well. So many things to do:
* Copacabana- this large and busy beach is a fun place to meet the locals, take a swim, play, or relax on the beach, etc.
* Ipanema- more upscale and chic than Copa. Plenty of beautiful bods around. The water here can be dangerous. Only swim where the locals do.
* There are other good beaches such as Arpoador and Leblon ... all easy to get to. Further away to the west they have good beaches like those at Barra da Tijuca.
Pão de Açucar (Sugarloaf) & Corcovado are two popluar mountains with outstanding views of Rio de Janeiro. Corcovado is the mountain with the statue of Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer). I found the trips a bit "touristy" for me, but it's something you have to do at least once. Go up on a clear day and bring a camera.
Jardim Botanico (Botanical Gardens)- is a nice green area for plant lovers & couples to roam around in. Nothing exciting but a way to kill a few hours.
Museu Nacional de Belas Artes (National Art Museum)- has some very fine works from all over the world and Brazil. I was really impressed by it. If you like fine art it's worth checking out.
Museu Nacional - is another fine stop. Impressive pieces of art and antiquities are stored in this nice old building located in Quinta da Boa Vista. Last time I visited, it had an esp. good collection of objects from Africa.
The Museu de Arte Moderna - has a decent amount of modern artistic work. I have never been a big fan of modern art - in my opinion the majority of it is rubbish.
Maracana - for a night of insanity go watch a futbol game at the coliseum of futbol, Maracana. It's the largest futbol stadium in the world and the people that go there are true fanatics. Go with a group because things can get out of hand and your personal safety may be a concern. Quite an experience.
Cinelandia, Gloria, and Santa Teresa are districts of Rio that I always enjoy walking in. Santa Teresa is esp. picturesque with it's steep streets. The Arcos da Lapa, near Cinelandia, has a good nightlife scene on Fridays and Saturdays. In the same area the Escadaria Selaron, a colorful staircase that leads up to the Convento de Santa Teresa, is also worth a visit. It´s popular to ride the tram (bonde) over the Arcos da Lapa to the bohemian enclave of Santa Teresa. I go to Centro often to visit the large market at the Uruguaiana metro stop. It´s a good place to buy everything from clothes to electronics to jewelry to DVDs/CDs; prices are quite reasonable. Of course there are many other shopping areas throughout downtown and all over Rio.
Favela Tours - you can take a guided tour to one of the many slums on the hills of Rio. Folks that live there have no running water, no schools, no hospitals. Depressing stuff, but it seems that efforts are currently underway to try to improve areas of the favelas. Probably shouldn´t go there on your own.
Tijuca Forest - is a quick trip from Rio and offers some good hikes through the rainforest. For great views of the surrounding area (and beef up your legs) hike to the top of a high peak such as Pico da Tijuca - it is worth the effort. The park closes at night and no camping is allowed.
- So many other activies to pursue while in Rio such as hanggliding, surfing, boat cruises, clubing, etc., etc. Rio is one of my favorite destinations and I consider it a second home. No doubt, I'll be going back again and again. :-)
Along with the friendly people, great beaches, and wonderful music - a great joy of the Brazilian experience is the healthy & high quality food that can be sampled.
With the wide range of fruits and meats available, Brazil is a fine place for vegans & carnivores alike. Of course for omnivores such as myself, Brazil is a diner's dream come true.
The good life ..... lounging and playing on a beach (darn near any beach) in Brazil; especially Rio.
- In a nutshell:Sand, sun, and beautiful bods!
What I enjoy most about Rio is relaxing on the beaches, sipping water from a big coconut in one hand, and spending... more travel advice
If you want to experience the older, more historic side of Rio then you might want to think about staying at a Bed and... more travel advice
skullcrusher's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 10 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
Photos in Rio de JaneiroSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Naples Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Colorado Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Berlin Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Bulgaria Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Ecuador Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Madrid Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Curitiba Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
Latest Rio de Janeiro hotel reviews
- Sheraton Rio Hotel And Towers
- 564 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Excelsior Copacabana Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- 236 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Luxor Aeroporto Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Fasano Hotel
- 253 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Orla Copacabana Hotel
- 248 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Mar Ipanema
- 346 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Merlin Copacabana Hotel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Savoy Othon
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Ibiza Copacabana Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Toledo Copacabana Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2012
- Pousada Arambare
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Ipanema Beach House
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- B&B Yaya Rio Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 25, 2010
- Cama e Cafe
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013