"Salvador" Salvador da Bahia by skullcrusher

Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 636 reviews and 1,346 photos

After many trips to Brazil, I finally took the time to visit the historic city of Salvador. The day I arrived in the Pelourinho there was a grand celebration taking place. The streets were packed with people dancing, drinking , chatting, and kissing. From what I hear, this is a common occurance in Salvador. Yes ...... I think it´s the ''party-with-gusto'' attitude that the folks have here that really makes the city stand out.

Like most of Brazil's old colonial cities, Salvador has it's fair amount of old, lovely, and decrepid buildings. The museums here didn't hold much appeal to me so I didn't bother to visit any.

There are some decent places to buy cool Afro-Brazilian style souvenirs all over town, but the Mercado Modelo is an especially large complex full of kitchy stuff. You could also ride up and down the nearby elevators that connect the Cidade Baixa with the Cidade Alta.

Bahia has some great beaches all over the area and the climate is great for soaking in the rays (wear some sunblock).

The city has a well deserved reputation for crime. Just use some common sense and keep your gear in view and you should be alright. I didn´t have any problems but I was aware of the criminal types as I traveled the area. Also I met a few unfortunate tourists that were robbed of there valuables (cameras, passports, wallets, etc.).

Glad I spent some time here. Not sure if I'll return. Too much fun to be had in other parts of Brazil for less headaches.

• Pros:Nice and warm. Good tropical beach climate.
  • Cons:Lot´s of dodgy folks. Many of the locals don´t seem to like tourists.
  • In a nutshell:I partied hard for a couple of days then beat feet out of there.
  • Last visit to Salvador da Bahia: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2012

Comments

skullcrusher

“Sic transit gloria mundi.”

Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia

Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?

Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia