"Salvador" Salvador da Bahia by skullcrusher
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 630 reviews and 1,335 photos
After many trips to Brazil, I finally took the time to visit the historic city of Salvador. The day I arrived in the Pelourinho there was a grand celebration taking place. The streets were packed with people dancing, drinking , chatting, and kissing. From what I hear, this is a common occurance in Salvador. Yes ...... I think it´s the ''party-with-gusto'' attitude that the folks have here that really makes the city stand out.
Like most of Brazil's old colonial cities, Salvador has it's fair amount of old, lovely, and decrepid buildings. The museums here didn't hold much appeal to me so I didn't bother to visit any.
There are some decent places to buy cool Afro-Brazilian style souvenirs all over town, but the Mercado Modelo is an especially large complex full of kitchy stuff. You could also ride up and down the nearby elevators that connect the Cidade Baixa with the Cidade Alta.
Bahia has some great beaches all over the area and the climate is great for soaking in the rays (wear some sunblock).
The city has a well deserved reputation for crime. Just use some common sense and keep your gear in view and you should be alright. I didn´t have any problems but I was aware of the criminal types as I traveled the area. Also I met a few unfortunate tourists that were robbed of there valuables (cameras, passports, wallets, etc.).
Glad I spent some time here. Not sure if I'll return. Too much fun to be had in other parts of Brazil for less headaches.
- Pros:Nice and warm. Good tropical beach climate.
- Cons:Lot´s of dodgy folks. Many of the locals don´t seem to like tourists.
- In a nutshell:I partied hard for a couple of days then beat feet out of there.
skullcrusher's Related Pages
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salvador da Bahia"
- "Salvador - Africa in Brazil"
- "All I want is some ACARAJE!"
- "Salvador de Bahia: african roots are here"
- "Salvador Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salvador da Bahia
- Hotels in Salvador da Bahia
- Transportation in Salvador da Bahia
- Nightlife in Salvador da Bahia
- Restaurants in Salvador da Bahia
- Shopping in Salvador da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Salvador da Bahia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia
Photos in Salvador da BahiaSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Naples Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Colorado Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Berlin Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Bulgaria Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Ecuador Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Madrid Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Curitiba Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
Latest Salvador da Bahia hotel reviews
- Hotel Casa do Amarelindo
- 390 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Pousada do Boqueirao
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Bahiacafe Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Pousada Terra Nossa
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Albergue dos Anjos
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Nega Maluca Guesthouse
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Atlantic Towers
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 21, 2013
- Albergue do Pelo
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Pousada da Saude
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2012
- Pousada da Mangueira
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Barra Guest Hostel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Albergue das Laranjeiras
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2012
- Village Novo
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013