"Welcome to Skibbe's HomePage" Skibbe's Profile
I have used Virtual Tourist to help plan all my recent trips. Tips from other members have been very helpful to me and I hope others find this page helpful as well.
I made my first overseas trip in late '97 when I was almost 30. I've found that travel is completely addictive. If I'm not on a trip I always like to be planning one. It provides an education you just can't get otherwise and that is why it will always be a priority for me.
I believe in learning everything possible about a place before I visit. I eat the country's food, watch their movies, read their fiction and non-fiction books, listen to their music, follow them in the news, and get any taste of their culture for months in advance. Not only does this make the trip better but it has long term effects.Getting ready for Japan introduced me to foreign movies, which I've come to prefer to American movies. Preparing for Peru introduced me to Mario Vargas Llosa, who has become my favorite author. And I still listen to music from nearly all these places.
You may notice as you click through these pages that I tend to get lost a lot. I can't really say that getting lost is part of the plan but it doesn't bother me. I've seen more and had more interesting experiences from getting lost than if I'd ever gotten to where I was going when I was supposed to be there.
I also tend to be a solo traveler on most of my trips. It's not that I mind having someone with me or haven't enjoyed all those that have joined me on trips. But I never want not having someone to go with keep me from seeing a place I want to see. Plus, solo travel has its advantages. You have the freedom to do what you want when you want. You have more peace to take in what you're seeing. It is more of a true getaway. And it is easier to meet new people. I've been fortunate to meet a lot of great people in the places I've visited.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 516 Reviews
- 1,455 Photos
- 37 Countries
- 62 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Wrote a Review Downtown B&B in Newport Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Marble House"
- created a Newport Travel Page "Newport"
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to Skibbe's HomePage"
- Skibbe and asgottl are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Argentina Forum "RE: Traveling Solo"
- Commented on speer's profile page
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 26 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 6 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- Peru Intro, 20 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos
- Krakow Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 9 reviews, 42 photos
- Kochi Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos