"Da Dalian - Greater Dalian." Top 5 Page for this destination Dalian by A2002
Dalian Travel Guide: 281 reviews and 454 photos
"Jian she da da lian". This is the quote that I always hear on the TV advertisement, and also seen signs around the city. Literally it means, building a greater Dalian. I felt the vigour, strength and energy of the people to build Dalian into a big, rich and developed city.
The first impression of Dalian is a very fast developing city in China with lotsa skyscrapers in the city center, plus numerous construction of high rise buildings going on. There are a lot of people everywhere too. Getting around seems a bit confusing to me, but after a while Dalian is not that big after all. The transportation system is quite well established, and there's many taxis everywhere. Hence, getting around Dalian is very convenient.
Dalian is a clean and green city in China. It is the first city in China that was awarded a "Global Top 500 of Environment" by the UN in 2001. There are several parks and squares in the city. In winter, there's not much greenery in the parks as rain is scarce. I saw only the brown grass and "leafless" trees in the parks and along the streets. I was told by the locals that nobody is allowed to step on those green patches of grass, if there's any.
I have tried to take pictures of street scenes that are clear. However, it seems like most of my pictures aren't. The atmosphere is always looking so hazy... I have no idea whether it is because it's cold, or due to the pollution.
Brief History of Dalian:
Dalian is the only non-freezing port in China. In the early twentieth century, Dalian was occupied by the Russians. During the Russian occupation between 1898-1905, ship repair, iron smelting, brewing, and lumbering industries were developed. The Russians also improved Dalian's infrastructure and connectivity by building the South Manchurian Railway and connecting Dalian by rail to the Trans-Siberian railway. The city's port was also further developed.
Dalian was once a battlefield of the Russians and Japanese. After the victory of the Japanese in the Russo-Japanese war, the city was occupied by the Japanese, until Mao and his revolutionary army took power in 1949.
The main shopping district that I have discovered and love is "Shen li guang chang" (Victory Square). It is a huge underground shopping area with many entrances/exits. It is just like a bustling, multi-storeyed, underground city without the cars. There are many stalls and shops selling food, clothes, gifts, etc. A very interesting place to explore for a day or two.
Another shopping district is around Tian jin jie with many shopping complexes.
One can find many banks around / nearby Zhong Shan Guang Chang.
There is not much to do and see in Dalian in the winter months, except shopping, sight-seeing and eat. However, this might change in future as there are many developments ongoing to attract tourists in Dalian.
For now, I would say the main tourist areas are
1) shopping around Sheng Li Guang Chang (Victory Square), Tian Jin Jie and around Swissotel.
2) tour around Lao Hu Tan (Tiger Bay) to see the Pole Aquarium, Coral Aquarium, Theme Park (?), Bird Park, Tigers Statue, etc.
3) The numerous squares (guang chang) around the city. For example, Zhong Shan Guang Chang, You Yi Guang Chang, Ren Ming Guang Chang.
4) Xing Hai Guang Chang (Xing Hai Square) to see the beautiful and bright lightings at night.
5) Lao Dong Gong Yuan (Labour Park), which seems to be open only in the summer.
6) Ying Siong Gong Yuan (Heroes Park).
- Pros:A clean city in China.
- Cons:Not much to see and do in winter, but much better in summer.
Let's go for a leisure cycle. Cycling around Xing Hai Gong Yuan is kinda fun. The roads are spacious but unfortunately... more travel advice
"Dong Hai Gong Yuan" - East Sea Garden. See how big this turtle is... more travel advice
- See All Drinking water.
- See All Kids.
- See All Lu Shun (Port Arthur)
- See All Sea Cucumber.
A2002's Related Pages
Dalian Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "pearl in north China"
- "Surprise Dalian"
- "Northeastern Harbour"
- "The way to Dalian"
- "Da Dalian - Greater Dalian."
- "Dalian, Liaoning Province"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dalian
- Hotels in Dalian
- Transportation in Dalian
- Nightlife in Dalian
- Restaurants in Dalian
- Shopping in Dalian
- Warnings and Dangers in Dalian
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dalian
- 46 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Dalian?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dalian
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 85 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 72 reviews, 58 photos
- Singapore Intro, 80 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalian Intro, 46 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Loughborough Intro, 30 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Bintan Intro, 29 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues