"Nara - A historical City." Top 5 Page for this destination Nara by A2002
Nara Travel Guide: 254 reviews and 1,033 photos
I would personally recommend Nara, known as the home of Japanese history and culture, as one of the must see places around Kyoto. A day trip is enough to explore the places of interest and enjoy the charm of this ancient city of Nara at a moderate pace.
We obtained a map of Nara from a tourist information booth at the JR Nara station situated at the exit of the station. The main places of interests will be marked on the map. The staff will also recommend a route and we followed the route recommended.
From JR Nara station, we took a pleasant walking tour to see the main sights. We walked pass rows of interesting shops, selling things ranging from food to clothings to souvenirs. We followed the map and walked under the very hot sun (it was late July!). It was quite a tiring walk, so remember to bring lots of water. Our last stop was Kasuga Shrine where we took a bus back to the station.
At the deer park, there will be people selling bisuits-like food to feed the deers. These deers are perhaps used to human encounter, hence they are not afraid of humans at all. Beware! The deers eat anything and follow you if you have something that look "eatable" on your hand! Our yellow coloured map, perhaps looked like a biscuit, half of which ended up in the stomach of a hungry deer!!! A deer just walked to us and the next minute we knew was the deer "snatched" our map in it's mouth!!! We then tried to get the map back but in the process, we only managed to get half of the map back.
Nara Deer Park
Kasuga Taisha Shrine
There's a good website with the details of the places of interests of Nara city at http://www.city.nara.nara.jp/english/index.htm
Nara is indeed a very nice place for a day tour. The atmosphere is very different from the well known cities of Kyoto. Before visiting Japan, we did not consider visiting Nara. Since we have some time, after reading the guide books and tourist information booklets, we decided to visit. It was a trip worthwhile. Though we went there on a hot and sunny day with the scorching sun on us, we had an enjoyable time visiting the places of interests.
- Pros:Not very crowded with foreign tourists, but many local tourists.
- Cons:Very hot to walk in July and August.
- In a nutshell:A place well worth visiting.
Picture shows one of the two Lords guarding at the entrance to Todaiji Temple. The two lords are very huge made from... more travel advice
Todaiji Temple was built at the behest of Emperor Shomu, who hoped to position Todaiji as the head temple and Vairocana... more travel advice
A2002's Related Pages
Nara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of Japan's ancient capitals"
- "Rich Culture in the Countryside"
- "Nara - A historical City."
- "Deer Nara"
- "Nara - Ancient Japanese City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nara
- Hotels in Nara
- Transportation in Nara
- Restaurants in Nara
- Shopping in Nara
- Warnings and Dangers in Nara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nara
- 14 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Nara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nara
Photos in NaraSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 85 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 72 reviews, 58 photos
- Singapore Intro, 80 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalian Intro, 46 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Loughborough Intro, 30 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Bintan Intro, 29 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues