"Gurun - My dad's birth place." Kampung Gurun by A2002

Kampung Gurun Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 21 photos

Kampung Gurun , as in VT, is a small town in the state of Kedah in the Northern part of Peninsula Malaysia. Kedah is the rice bowl of Malaysia, as it is the main region for the production of rice.

I used to visit my relatives and grandparents in Gurun at least twice a year when I was young. I love my childhood years in Gurun, playing and running around in the kampung (village), along the railway line, in the padi fields catching fireflies, playing with leeches, swimming in waterfalls, etc.

The picture shows a typical "setting" in a kampung. I used to play baseball, top, or hike and seek here in front of this house with my cousins. Memories of my childhood...

If you are visiting Alor Setar, a bigger town nearest to Gurun, do have a trip up "Gunung Jerai". It is a hill that you can drive up or take a taxi up there. The view of Gurun and surrounding areas is awesome. You can see the green or brown padi fields, depending on the season that you go. It would certainly be a memorable view of the ricebowl of Malaysia. Tourism is not establised here, so it would be an off the beaten path to see the "countryside" of Malaysia.

Gurun is an undeveloped, small town, with small villages, rubber plantations, and many padi fields around.

The picture shows the backyard of the house where my dad grew up in, and used to be stayed by our very big family. The house is mainly built with wood.

In this small village, I used to pick those delicious kampung durians, pluck mangosteen, play hike and seek, play baseball, doing some of the naughty things that kids do with my cousins.

Memories...

• Last visit to Kampung Gurun: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2003

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 1:25 AM

Wah! Your Jui-hu-end-cai really make me lau-nuah man!! Is that Bee in your intro's 3rd pic?

• l_joo's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2004 at 7:30 PM

Jui Hu Eng Cai....hahahaha. I'm sure you can speak fluent northern Hokkien. Well done.

• kikiree's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2003 at 7:38 AM

i really miss my hometown (Sungai Petani) after reading your page. my dad used to drive us to eat some thai food in gurun every chinese new year. i love malaysia and can't wait to go home for good one day...

• seratonin's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2003 at 11:35 PM

Interesting reading!

• Jul 26, 2003 at 2:26 AM

What a wonderful custom. Often too many times our ancestors are forever forgotten.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2003 at 1:47 PM

What a wonderful place for your childhood!! Ancestor day looks very special! Very nice page!!

• bkoon's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2003 at 12:39 AM

Indeed, memories.... We hardly see or visit kampungs these days. Cool. Missed those days... playing hide and seek, mini-baseball and durian-hunting in kampungs.

A2002

“Suffering can be overcome and happiness attained.”

Badges & Stats in Kampung Gurun

Have you been to Kampung Gurun?

Latest Activity in Kampung Gurun