"Gurun - My dad's birth place." Kampung Gurun by A2002
Kampung Gurun Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 21 photos
Kampung Gurun , as in VT, is a small town in the state of Kedah in the Northern part of Peninsula Malaysia. Kedah is the rice bowl of Malaysia, as it is the main region for the production of rice.
I used to visit my relatives and grandparents in Gurun at least twice a year when I was young. I love my childhood years in Gurun, playing and running around in the kampung (village), along the railway line, in the padi fields catching fireflies, playing with leeches, swimming in waterfalls, etc.
The picture shows a typical "setting" in a kampung. I used to play baseball, top, or hike and seek here in front of this house with my cousins. Memories of my childhood...
If you are visiting Alor Setar, a bigger town nearest to Gurun, do have a trip up "Gunung Jerai". It is a hill that you can drive up or take a taxi up there. The view of Gurun and surrounding areas is awesome. You can see the green or brown padi fields, depending on the season that you go. It would certainly be a memorable view of the ricebowl of Malaysia. Tourism is not establised here, so it would be an off the beaten path to see the "countryside" of Malaysia.
Gurun is an undeveloped, small town, with small villages, rubber plantations, and many padi fields around.
The picture shows the backyard of the house where my dad grew up in, and used to be stayed by our very big family. The house is mainly built with wood.
There are many kampung around where the locals live in peace and quietness. The roads in the kampung are usually paved... more travel advice
"Jui Hu Eng Cai" is in Hokkien. It is a dish that Gurun is famous for - a plate of squid and Kang Kong (vegetable)... more travel advice
A2002's Related Pages
Kampung Gurun Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kampung Gurun
- Hotels in Kampung Gurun
- Transportation in Kampung Gurun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kampung Gurun
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Kampung Gurun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampung Gurun
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 85 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 72 reviews, 58 photos
- Singapore Intro, 80 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalian Intro, 46 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Loughborough Intro, 30 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Bintan Intro, 29 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues