"MY HOME TOWN =TULIP FESTIVAL 2 first weeks of May" Top 5 Page for this destination Holland by UScutie
Holland Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 164 photos
You will wonder why I call Holland my home town is 2nd AMSTERDAM ??? Reason is people from Netherlands had in fact "discovered" Holland, Michigan, and built Dutch strengthened community here.
When we mention about Amsterdam we will think of TULIP flower and same as Holland-Michigan-USA,the main character of this town is TULIP flower and visit to this town CAN NOT MISS TULIPTIME FESTIVAL .
***Alitle bit about TULIPTIME FESTIVAL:
-The idea of Tulip Time was introduced at a meeting of the Woman's Literary Club in 1927. Miss Lida Rogers, biology teacher at Holland High School, suggested that Holland adopt the tulip as its flower because of its close ties to the Netherlands, and set aside a day for a festival : "Come Down to Holland in Tulip Time."
- In 1928, City Council, under Mayor Ernest C. Brooks, appropriated funds to purchase 100,000 tulip bulbs from the Netherlands. These bulbs were to be planted in city parks and other areas. Initial plans called for a "Tulip Day." Bulbs were available to Holland residents at one cent apiece.
-Thus it was in 1929 that thousands of tulips bloomed, and Holland invited visitors to come during the week in May that included the 15th. Because of interest shown, it was decided to make Tulip Time an annual event .The festival was organized emphasizing DUTCH costumes and wooden shoes. The revival of old Netherlands customs and traditions naturally followed, and visitors and townsfolk found the festival both unique and picturesque.
-It was in 1947 that the people of the city of Amsterdam sent a barrel organ to the people of Holland. It was just one of many things that came on a special Dutch ship that sailed into Holland Harbor. The barrel organ was played extensively during V-J Day events and later in Tulip Time parades. After substantial repairs and renovation during the late 1990’s, the barrel organ is now displayed at Windmill Island and entertains hundreds of visitors during Tulip Time and throughout the tourist season. The organ is also back in the line-up of Tulip Time parades.
-In succeeding years, Tulip Time continued on much the same pattern, adding more cultural features and entertaining ever-increasing crowds. The number of Klompen Dancers increased each year, and beginning in the mid-1970s, even a few boys participated.
-Tulip time festival: from beginning to mid. of May each year . -Dutch village . -Dutch Drawbridge. -Windmill Island... more travel advice
-Holland town is mainly original Ductch and Irish and Catholic people ,so should be carefull if you discuss about... more travel advice
UScutie's Related Pages
Holland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Holland's Tulip Time Festival and More"
- "Tulips and Windmills"
- "Holland Michigan"
- "MY HOME TOWN =TULIP FESTIVAL 2 first weeks of May"
- "More Than Tulips and it's Dutch History"
- "Wilkommen to the 2nd Holland!"
- "Holland, MI, USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Holland
- Hotels in Holland
- Transportation in Holland
- Nightlife in Holland
- Restaurants in Holland
- Shopping in Holland
- Warnings and Dangers in Holland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Holland
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Holland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Holland
Photos in HollandSee All Photos (10)
Top 5 Pages
- Vietnam Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
- Canada Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Holland Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos