"Jose Ignacio" José Ignacio by wanderlust23

José Ignacio Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 28 photos

Small town located about 30 minutes from Punta.

Jose Ignacio was recommended to us by the owners of a bed and breakfast we were staying in in La Barra, Punta del Este. It was a short bus ride from our hotel and we flagged down the bus in early morning and headed to the small town. Being winter in South America it was absolutely freezing that day - foggy and cold and windy. It was a nice enough town, but all repairs were being done in the town since it was the off season. Nothing was open, save for a small restaurant where we had coffee and waited for the bus to come. We had to wait all day since the bus only comes once or twice per day.

All in all, it was a cute little town and I'm sure I would have loved it had it not been 40 degrees and windy. It warmed up and was sunny the last 20 minutes we were there (of course) and we saw that it was probably a beautiful little seaside town in high season.

The beach

Now, the highlight of Jose Ignacio is probably the beach for me. The waves come crashing into the rocks there with such tremendous force. It really is beautiful to see. And the sound is amazing. It was fun just to watch the tide come in and pummel the sides of the rocks, creating the white foamy splash.

The landscape

There were large boulders all over the beach. I had never seen a beach quite like this one. This being my first time to see the Atlantic Ocean I didn't have a picture in mind beforehand. It was gorgeous though.

• Pros:Beach, waves
  • Cons:Everything is closed in off season, repairs are made everywhere,
  • In a nutshell:Lovely day trip for those staying in Punta (but don't rely on the buses - they rarely come)
  • Last visit to José Ignacio: Sep 2006
  • Intro Written Apr 9, 2007

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Interesting discription of Jose Ignacio in the winter months. I hope to see it when it is warmer.

wanderlust23

“Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. - Goethe”

Badges & Stats in José Ignacio

Have you been to José Ignacio?

Latest Activity in José Ignacio