"Melilla - A little piece of Spain in Africa" Melilla by JulesH
Melilla Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 124 photos
I came to Melilla mainly because a friend of mine lives there. His description of the town as a Spanish enclave in the north of Africa, surrounded by a border fence to keep out Moroccan refugees enthralled me! Most people outside of Spain have little idea where Melilla is, or the second such enclave, Ceuta. And few really care! It's not possible to catch a direct flight there from the UK, so this alone would make it overlooked by many run of the mill British tourists. But this was the thing that spurred me on most! A town which is essentially Spanish in all senses of the word, but not on the Spanish mainland, awash with influences from neigbouring Morocco. A multicultural land where Catholics, Muslims, Jews and Hindus all have an identity...and barely an English voice to be heard! I had to discover this place for myself...
When we arrived in Melilla, we found little evidence of English being spoken, and found it hard to understand the local Spanish accent, but after a few days of "getting our ear in" we started to get the hang of it and found the town to be welcoming, friendly and only too happy to invite us into their lives. Rafael at the Taberna de Andaluza and his patrons gave us more than one night to remember! Even if our Spanish wasn't quite up to scratch, we made it through numerous conversations with a mixture of sign language, Spanglish and alcohol induced bravado!
- Pros:They really can't stop giving you free stuff here!
- In a nutshell:One trip is not enough
You may be familiar with the custom of offering free tapas with drinks in Spain, but no-where have I ever seen heard of... more travel advice
The Melilla-Morocco border is a crazy place: people everywhere, bribery, corruption, thinly disguised smuggling. We... more travel advice
JulesH's Related Pages
Melilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MELILLA,SPAIN, AFRICA"
- "A little bit of Spain in Northern Africa"
- "The First VT page about Melilla!"
- "Melilla - A little piece of Spain in Africa"
- "The Spanish enclave."
- "Islas Chafarinas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melilla
- Hotels in Melilla
- Transportation in Melilla
- Nightlife in Melilla
- Restaurants in Melilla
- Shopping in Melilla
- Warnings and Dangers in Melilla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melilla
- 12 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Melilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melilla
Photos in MelillaSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ibiza Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melilla Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 13 photos
- Cairo Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos
- Bordeaux Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
Latest Melilla hotel reviews
- Parador de Melilla
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2012