"Day by day on Mount Kilimanjaro" Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park by JulesH
Kilimanjaro National Park Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 320 photos
We chose the 6 day Machame Route trek through Tanganyika Tours. The company seemed very pleasant, but in retrospect I feel they could have done more to ensure a successful climb for the whole group. In addition, they did not appear to pay their porters a fair rate, despite what they maintained, and I believe that our tips served more as wages than tips to the poor guys who lugged our stuff up the mountain. Hence the trek cost us a whole lot more than we anticipated as the guide was very prescriptive about how much he would accept in tips. This was NOT discretionary on our part.
Unfortunately, neither myself, nor Rob made it to the summit on the 5th day, although our two friends did. Rob could not climb due to altitude sickness, and me due to sheer physical exhaustion following the long 4th day. I have included some tips on how best to avoid the problems we encountered. This kind of failure was our worst fear for this trip, and it appears that we became a self fulfilling prophesy.
But this is not a tale of failure, so please don't be put off by this account. Evey step I took above 1000 metres was an achievement for me as the highest mountain I had attempted before was Mount Snowdon. I managed to get to nearly 3000 metres relatively easily on day 1 (although that's a bit of a cheat as of course you don't start at sea level) and I was one of the first 9 people to make it to the first campsite, despite walking at a very slow speed. I have every reason to be proud of myself and I saw some amazing sights and tested my limits.
Rob insists he will return to conquer the peak within the next couple of years...I am still undecided whether I will join him though.
If you are discouraged from climbing Kili from reading the following account, then you probably aren't mentally ready for it. Yes, it will probably be the hardest thing you have ever done...but even if, like me, you don't make the summit, it will be such a worthwhile experience. I am glad I did it.
Once again I got lost behind the group pretty quickly, and after a couple of hours I was in a lot of pain in my knees... more travel advice
Possibly the steepest climb of the day was the ascent path to the next campsite where the 7 day trekkers would stay... more travel advice
JulesH's Related Pages
Kilimanjaro National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kilimanjaro - Roof of Africa"
- "Highway to Africa's summit"
- "Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro"
- "Day by day on Mount Kilimanjaro"
- "Gard's Kilimanjaro adventure"
- "The Roof of Africa!"
- "We did it !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kilimanjaro National Park
- Hotels in Kilimanjaro National Park
- Transportation in Kilimanjaro National Park
- Nightlife in Kilimanjaro National Park
- Restaurants in Kilimanjaro National Park
- Shopping in Kilimanjaro National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kilimanjaro National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kilimanjaro National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Kilimanjaro National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kilimanjaro National Park
- updated a Kilimanjaro National Park Travel Page "Day by day on Mount Kilimanjaro"
- Posted in Travel Prague Forum "Re: Prague casino"
- Wrote a Review Pulmonary/Cerebral Oedema in Kilimanjaro National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Day by day on Mount Kilimanjaro"
- Commented on one of Gard's Kilimanjaro National Park travel pages
Photos in Kilimanjaro National ParkSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ibiza Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melilla Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 13 photos
- Cairo Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos
- Bordeaux Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos