Bordeaux Nightlife Tips by JulesH
Bordeaux Nightlife: 18 reviews and 21 photos
The Houses of Parliament
Ok, I've never been a fan of the Brit's abroad haven, but this place has none of that aloofness that a similar place in Spain might have. It is run by a family originally from Essex. The son and daughter have grown up truly bi-lingual and appreciative of both French and English culture and it is perhaps this which allows for such a great marriage of the best of both worlds in this bar. The service is English style at the bar rather than French style table service, but this is not done in an obtuse way as if to say that the English way is somehow better, rather that the English way is a little eccentric and a bit of a novelty for the French. The walls are decorated with memorabilia from days gone by, including a 1966 World Cup programme.
It is indeed very popular with both English and French alike and both languages are spoken in equal measures. French people wanting to improve their English skills can be found asking at the bar for conversation tutors in order to perfect their accents. Rather than a bolthole for the English to avoid the natives of Bordeaux, I found it to be a place where English friendly French people meet French friendly English people.
The pub serves bottled beers such as Becks and Corona, local bottled concoctions such as beer with vodka or whisky, draught beers including John Smiths bitter, a small selection of alcopops and also coffee. No food is served here, but the landlady has no problem with people bringing food in from outside. Sports are shown here whenever they are on and a selection of English magazines and newspapers are available, as well as English Sky news so you can keep up to date with what's going on back home. There is also the ubiquitous pool table if you fancied a game...occasional karaoke nights and theme nights keep the buzz going.
"Happy hour" in the typical British binge drinking tradition is from 5pm until 8pm.
Dress Code: Come as you are
Address: Rue de Parlement Ste Catherine, 33000 Bordeaux
Directions: Just off Place de Parlement heading towards the main shopping street of Rue Ste Catherine
Theme: Eating and Drinking
More Reviews (11)
- See All Shh...it's a secret!
- See All La Cabane D'Edouard
- Utopia - Cinema with a twist
- Les Jardins Publiques-a place to relax...
JulesH's Related Pages
Bordeaux Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Surprisingly Interesting City"
- "Bordeaux - La Belle Au Bois Dormant"
- "Bienvenue a Bordeaux"
- "Bordeaux Historic and wine city"
- "One day sure wasn't enough"
- "Bonjour! Bourdeaux, France!"
- "BORDEAUX A LA UNE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bordeaux
- Hotels in Bordeaux
- Transportation in Bordeaux
- Nightlife in Bordeaux
- Restaurants in Bordeaux
- Shopping in Bordeaux
- Warnings and Dangers in Bordeaux
- See All...
Explore the World
- Halifax Hotels
- Pulau Gaya Hotels
- Medina Hotels
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Walkinstown Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bordeaux
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Bordeaux?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bordeaux
Photos in BordeauxSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ibiza Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melilla Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 13 photos
- Cairo Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos
- Bordeaux Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
Latest Bordeaux hotel reviews
- Relais De Margaux Golf & Spa Hotel Margaux
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel de Seze
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel de Normandie
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Mercure Bordeaux Chartrons
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Best Western Bordeaux Bayonne
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Best Western Grand Hotel Francais
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Quality Hotel St. Catherine
- 284 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Chateau Cordeillan Bages
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Citadines Bordeaux Meriadeck
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Teneo Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Clemenceau Hotel
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hotel California Bordeaux
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Hotel Alton
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 10, 2013
- Ibis Bordeaux Centre Meriadeck
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Cathedral Saint Andre- 23 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Grand Theatre- 11 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Basilique Saint Michel- 6 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Place de la Bourse- 9 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Palais Gallien- 5 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Monument Aux Girondins- 5 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Palais Rohan- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Esplanade des Quinconces- 9 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Musee des Beaux Arts- 5 Reviews, 15 Photos
- La Grosse Cloche- The Big Clock- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Bordeaux Things to Do