"The wanderer returns" JulesH's Profile

About me...

Hi. My name is Julia but my friends call me Jules. I've been a member of VT for many years now, but over recent years, a different personal focus has taken my attention elsewhere. I'm North London born and bred and I still live there with my partner Rob in a house we own together in a pleasant part of an undesirable location. We're very proud of it!

I am very lucky with my work locations. I used to work right on Trafalgar Square, and now work within sight of the Thames and St Paul's cathedral. I never get tired of the amazing culture of the city I live and work in. I used to deliberately walk right through the square on my way to work every morning, past St Martin in the fields, the National Gallery, Charing Cross Station, looking across to Nelson's Column and the Big Ben clocktower along Whitehall. Now I get the bus from Liverpool Street station past Tower 42, the Heron Tower, Bank and St Paul's and I always feel so lucky to see these amazing buildings so regularly. I refuse to become jaded and wander about with my head down. An update to my London page is long overdue!

Travel is an on-off love affair of mine, and at the moment I'm very much in love with it. I am always interested in other peoples cultures, food and traditions and try and make the effort to experience the real aspects of the countries I visit instead of the easily accessible tourist version, but time is often the enemy of that. When it works, I am always impressed by how genuine and friendly the people I meet are, which is saying something as I am a bit of a cynic and don't trust people easily. Rob prefers a bit of luxury when he travels, which I'm not averse to, but I try to make him take a bit of a risk occasionally.

I always write a journal when I travel focussing as much on my feelings about a place as what I did there. I do enjoy revisiting places which I have felt a connection with but now I'm trying to go to as many places as I can. It is Rob's deepest ambition to live "somewhere else" for at least part of his life. I'm not so sure that would make us any happier than we already are, but I could certainly live with some better weather, so we'll see what happens!

Happy travelling!

Peace

Jules xx

Gamesmaker 2012

I'm going to be very lucky this summer and will be based at the Aquatics centre for the Olympic Games as a Gamesmaker volunteer. I have picked up my uniform, been given my roster shifts, time off from work is approved and in a few short weeks, I hope to help to make London and Britain proud! Yes, there will be disruption during the Games, but why on earth would we want life to just carry on as normal? Yes it has and will cost the country a fortune, but my last holiday had a similar effect on my bank account and I wouldn't change it for the world. This is history in the making, and I want to be as close to it as I can.

London 2012 Countdown

The clock is ticking and this is the evidence. N.B. this page is already out of date!

• Intro Updated Feb 11, 2013

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Hello again Jules.

So sorry I missed your birthday but I am travelling at present and have not been online for a few days, I hope you had a great day and have a great year to come.

Speak soon,

fergy.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• kahnjetta's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Happy Birthday Jules! I hope you enjoy your special day.

• leics's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Happy birthday! :-)

• Sienlu's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Happy birthday Jules

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Happy birthday Jules. Love your opening pic! That's awesome! :o)

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

How are you doing?
    I am Sandrine from Cameroon

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Hello again Jules, sorry I missed your birthday yesterday. I hope you had a great day and have a great year to come including lots of travelling. fergy.

• leics's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Happy birthday! :-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
JulesH's Profile Photo

JulesH

“Travel to expand the experience and to live one little adventure after another. ”

Real Name