"Munich is nature, art, events and culture" Top 5 Page for this destination Munich by Henkster
Munich Travel Guide: 4,407 reviews and 10,351 photos
Deutschlands schoenste Stadt
- Germany's most beautiful city.
Munich is heralded throughout the world as Germany's most beautiful and most attractive city.
Bavaria's capital city has a special charm that makes the city unique.
It's an atmosphere of Gemuetlichkeit (cozyness), of being laid-back and enjoying the peaceful life-style. In cities like Frankfurt or Berlin people are rushing through the subways in a constant hurry. In Munich everything is a bit more relaxed and people take their time to enjoy life and the beautiful ambience of this city.
Being in Germany, there are also quite a few negative people around, but fortunately you will find many international people from around the globe in Munich.
It is a city full of green parks, open spaces, lively squares and wide boulevards, beautiful monuments, fountains and baroque palaces and avenues that can easily keep up with Italian or French architecture.
Munich is more about art and culture than about anything else.
But it is also a very modern city: The subway system called "U-Bahn" is one of the best in Europe, the new Munich airport is extremely modern, and the trade fair center is the most modern one in Europe.
Apart from that, you will find Germany's biggest museum of modern art in Munich, the "Pinakothek der Moderne", set in an impressive building, as well as the recently opened huge Riem Arcaden, which is Germany's newest shopping mall.
The Bavaria capital is also extremely safe, even at nighttime and relatively clean. It is in fact one of the safest big cities in Europe.
For most people, Munich is the city with the highest quality of life in Germany and most of the many visitors love its charms, fun, beauty and cultural treasures.
Der Koenig wollte "aus Muenchen eine Stadt machen, die Deutschland so zur Ehre gereiche, dass es keiner kennt, wenn er nicht Muenchen gesehen hat". Um diesen Traum zu verwirklichen schufen Koenig Ludwig I. und andere Wittelsbacher Herrscher, gepackt von einer Bauleidenschaft, monumentale Bauten, gro?artige Platzanlagen und weltstaedtische Prachtstrassen. Sie haben Muenchen ein von griechischen Saeulen, italienischen Barockfassaden und franzoesischem Stuck gepraegtes, suedlaendisches Stadtbild gegeben und so zu einer der schoensten Staedten Europas gemacht.
Mit seinen drei Sinfonie-Orchestern von Weltruf und drei renommierten Pinakotheken sowie vielen Theatern und Museen ist Muenchen eine der wichtigsten Kunst- und Kulturmetropolen in der Welt.
Beruehmt ist Muenchen auch durch das Oktoberfest, mit jaehrlich 7 Mill. Besuchern das groesste Volksfest der Welt, und nicht zuletzt durch seinen FC Bayern.
Mit den nahen Alpen und den Ludwig Schloessern, wie Neuschwanstein, Linderhof und Herrenchiemsee, hat Muenchen ein besonders attraktives Umland, das zu vielen Tagesausfluegen einlaedt und es zur idealen Destination fuer Touristen, Tagungen und Kongresse macht.
The Bavarian kings wanted to turn Munich into a second Paris, with royal architecture on huge avenues and boulevards.
Much was destroyed in WW II like anywhere in Germany, but here much has been done to restore the old beauty - while other cities like Hamburg or Frankfurt decided to build "modern" architecture instead of rebuilding the old after the war.
Today people are very happy that Munich was rebuilt in the historic style and that we have more old architecture than the other big German cities.
Bavaria's capital is often compared to the most important historic European beauties with nicknames like "Isar-Athens", "German Rome" or "Paris of Germany".
Hope you enjoy my page - which is not complete yet, because in reality there are hundreds and hundreds of must-see-activities in Munich.
(Marienplatz Webcam - the heart of Munich)
(6 different cams in the Olympiapark - site of the 1972 Olympic Summer Games)
(Stachus Square - entrance to the old town)
Other useful links
(Bavaria's English speaking magazine)
(A great travelguide, only in German)
(A great website about Munich's nightlife - created by VTer KeyDeck)
Other great Munich pages on VT which I would like to recommend are the ones by "TinKan" (a great photographer), "pedersdottir" (a real Munich insider) and my buddy "Leipzig".
- Pros:The safety, the atmosphere, the historical beauty, the old-world architecture, the amazing parks and gardens, the outdoor life, the events, sports, concerts and festivals, the international people
- Cons:most expensive city in Germany, sometimes simply overcrowded
- In a nutshell:One of Europe's most wonderful cities
There are a few excellent Irish Pubs in Schwabing, but the coolest one has to be Gunther Murphys in Nikolaistrasse. They... more travel advice
Munich's most beautiful fountain is located on a terrace up on Lenbachplatz, overlooking the clusters of trees on... more travel advice
- See All Beautiful cute house right at...
- See All Big Shopping Malls in Munich
- See All Lehel district
- See All Munich trade fair - the most modern in...
- See All Public transport and Airport -both are...
Henkster's Related Pages
Munich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Munich - Oktoberfest & a lot more !"
- "Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
- "Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
- "The Big Village"
- "Munich - my current hometown"
- "Munich and Surroundings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munich
- Hotels in Munich
- Transportation in Munich
- Nightlife in Munich
- Restaurants in Munich
- Shopping in Munich
- Warnings and Dangers in Munich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munich
- 98 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 109 Forum posts
- 165 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Munich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munich
- Commented on one of tolovajka's Munich travel pages
- Posted in Travel Curitiba Forum "RE: RE: things to do in curitiba"
- updated a Munich Travel Page "Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
- Wrote a Review Irish Pubs in Schwabing about Schwabing in Munich Nightlife
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 98 reviews, 139 photos, 12 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Bavaria Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Verona Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schloß Herrenchiemsee Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Würzburg Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos