"Lose Yourself in the Landcsape" Yosemite National Park by vichatherly
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide: 1,506 reviews and 3,469 photos
I went to Yosemite National Park, in June 2010 on days five, six and seven of a thirteen day, four state, tour around California, Arizona and Utah and Nevada. The plan was to spend three nights in San Francisco and then hire a car to head down the coast to Monterey, staying at Gilroy for the night.
Then it was off for two nights just outside Yosemite National Park, followed by two nights in Death Valley National Park, two nights in the Grand Canyon, one night in Monument Valley State Park and finally one night at Bryce Canyon National Park before leaving the car and departing back from Las Vegas. All went to plan and we had a brilliant time, putting about 2,200 on the hire car mileage.
We set off early from our motel in Gilroy stopping off briefly at the San Luis Reservoir, and then drove the 150 mile to Fish Camp, which is just outside of the South Gate entrance to Yosemite National Park. We were staying for two nights at the Narrow Gauge Inn in Fish Camp. We checked in and then headed off to get our first glimpse of Yosemite.
As we were at the South Gate, the plan was to go to Mariposa Grove and see the giant Sequoia trees and then head off for a “Sunset Ranger Talk” at Glacier Point
It was a great introduction to the park.
We drove to Yosemite Valley in the morning and hiked The Mist Trail. We reached the top of Vernal Falls by lunchtime and after getting seriously wet, we dried out and ate our trail nuts. We decided that getting wet again was no fun and so took the top route down to the valley floor. It was a four hour hike and so we were glad of the sit down as we enjoyed the Ranger Stroll - Bears at the Lower Pines Campground Amphitheatre.
After the Stroll we mooched around and admired the beautiful pictures in the Ansell Adams Gallery and then took a quick peek in the Valley Visitor Centre.
It was then off to our first evening dinner of the holiday as we stopped off at the Tenya Lodge. We went for all in American food, a "Motherload" starter followed by burger and potato salad...bliss.
Day Seven - Yosemite to Death Valley
We checked out of our hotel at Fish Camp at 8am and drove into Yosemite for our final look at the park as we headed for Death Valley. We set off, taking the Tioga Road. As we were driving along and enjoying the scenery we noticed couple of Ranger cars parked up, along with a group of people. We then remembered what the Ranger had told us the previous day as part of our Bear Stroll. Bears had been seen in the meadows at Crane Flat. We pulled over and watched for a while as the two bears merrily munched away on the fresh grass meadow.
We then drove further up the pass and into the snow of Tuolumne Meadows. We had to stop as the landscape of the High Sierra was spectacular.
We then sadly had to leave Yosemite behind and after a quick lunch at Bishop made it to the heat of Death Valley National Park at about 6pm
- Pros:Breathtaking Scenery
- In a nutshell:Get on the Hiking Trails and Immerse Yourself in the Open Space
If I'm lucky enough to get back Yosemite then I think that I'll have to tackle the granite beast known as half dome. To... more travel advice
One if the most important items that you can buy, bring and use, in Yosemite is a decent water bottle. You'll need... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Incomparable Valley (and Park)"
- "Yosemite in a day"
- "On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
- "Yosemite National Park"
- "Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"
- "The Glacial Beauty of Yosemite National Park"
- "As Good As It Gets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yosemite National Park
- Hotels in Yosemite National Park
- Transportation in Yosemite National Park
- Nightlife in Yosemite National Park
- Restaurants in Yosemite National Park
- Shopping in Yosemite National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yosemite National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yosemite National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Yosemite National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yosemite National Park
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 85 reviews, 156 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos