"Operation Market Garden Tour – Grave" Grave by vichatherly
Grave Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 44 photos
After visiting the Airborne Memorial in Veghel we travelled to the spectacular bridge at Grave. This was on the afternoon of the first day of our three day road trip tour of the major bridges and landing zones of WWII Operation Market Garden.
This was Monty’s ambitious plan to end the war by Christmas and took place on 17th to the 25th September 1944.
I went on the trip with my brother-in-law Damian, who was also interested in going “A Bridge Too Far”. We were taking “Hell’s Highway” starting from Leopoldsburg and Lommel in Belgium and then into Holland and Eindhoven, Son, Best, Veghel,
Grave, Overasselt, Nijmegen, Groesbeek and then finally onto Oosterbeek and Arnhem.
We drove through the small streets of Grave, which on this night hosted a fun fair, therefore blocking of some of the routes to the Bridge.
When told the destination of their drop-zone in Holland the paratroopers were not too enamoured with the name “Grave”. Even their officers thought the name of the bridge was rather ominous and so suddenly began to change the pronunciation, referring to it as “Gravey Bridge”.
This memorial is in the form of a parachute canopy draped over the wall of the bastion. It was designed by Marcel Joosten and erected on May 1987.
It commemorates the airborne landings along the Market Garden corridor on 17th September 1944, in particular the 504th PIR, 82nd AB Division which landed on both sides of the Grave Bridge.
The memorial was designed by Robert Melsen and erected on 18th September 1994. The caption reads "On 17 September 1944,... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Grave Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Operation Market Garden Tour – Grave"
- "A fortified city on the Maas river"
- "Velp near Grave on New Year's Day 2007"
- "Grave, once a beautiful fortified town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grave
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Grave?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grave
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues