"Operation Market Garden Tour – Veghel" Veghel by vichatherly
Veghel Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 77 photos
After visiting the Joe Mann Memorial and the Airborne Bridge at Best we travelled to Veghel to visit the Airborne Memorial. This was on the afternoon of the first day of our three day road trip tour of the major bridges and landing zones of WWII Operation Market Garden.
This was Monty’s ambitious plan to end the war by Christmas and took place on 17th to the 25th September 1944.
I went on the trip with my brother-in-law Damian, who was also interested in going “A Bridge Too Far”. We were taking “Hell’s Highway” starting from Leopoldsburg and Lommel in Belgium and then into Holland and Eindhoven, Son, Best, Veghel,
Grave, Overasselt, Nijmegen, Groesbeek and then finally onto Oosterbeek and Arnhem.
The 101st Airborne Division memorial is in the form of a kangaroo with a baby in her pouch on a huge stone block which weighs 1200 kgs.
The kangaroo is a symbol of the Allied forces leaping over the Dutch rivers.
vichatherly's Related Pages
Veghel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My home town"
- "Operation Market Garden Tour – Veghel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Veghel
- Hotels in Veghel
- Transportation in Veghel
- Nightlife in Veghel
- Restaurants in Veghel
- Shopping in Veghel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Veghel
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Veghel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Veghel
Photos in VeghelSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 166 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues