"Operation Market Garden Tour – Leopoldsburg" Leopoldsburg by vichatherly
Leopoldsburg Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 15 photos
This was the starting point on the first morning of the first day of our three day road trip tour of the major bridges and landing zones of WWII Operation Market Garden.
This was Monty’s ambitious plan to end the war by Christmas and took place on 17th to the 25th September 1944.
I went on the trip with my brother-in-law Damian, who was also interested in going “A Bridge Too Far”. We were taking “Hell’s Highway” starting from Leopoldsburg and Lommel in Belgium and then into Holland and Eindhoven, Son, Best, Veghel,
Grave, Overasselt, Nijmegen, Groesbeek and then finally onto Oosterbeek and Arnhem.
We had picked up the hire car from Eindhoven airport and drove the short distance to the beginning of our journey, which was actually just over the border in Belgium. The town of Leopoldsburg was the place at which General Horrocks used the local Cinema Splendid to brief the officers of XXX Corps on the “Garden” part of the operation.
There is a Sherman tank situated by the railway station and just 100 yards up the road, at No 49 on the left, there is a plaque on the wall of the house where the cinema used to be.
- Pros:Splendid Tank at the railway station
- Cons:They've knocked the cinema down
- In a nutshell:XXX Corps briefing town for Operation Market Garden
The cinema sadly is no more, having been demolished in 1973. There is however a plaque on the building, No 49, where it... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Leopoldsburg Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Leopoldsburg
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Leopoldsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leopoldsburg
Photos in LeopoldsburgSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 31 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos