Lommel Things to Do Tips by vichatherly
Lommel Things to Do: 8 reviews and 7 photos
A quiet and sombre place where you can collect your thoughts.
Anyone who thinks that war is exciting and glamorous should come here and see what a price has been paid for wars in the past.
During the battles in Belgium and Western Germany, particularly in Aachen, in the Huertgen Forest and at the Remagen bridgehead, the American Burial Service temporarily buried those fallen German soldiers who they found in four temporary cemeteries: Henri-Chapelle, Fosse, Overrepen and Nueville-en-Condoz. From these four places the dead were then transferred to Lommel in 1946/47. In 1946 the American Burial Service transferred this temporary German facility to the presiding Belgium authorities. The Belgian authorities then transferred additional German war dead from WWII from various parts of Belgium to Lommel. Additionally 542 German WWI soldiers found their final resting place here as part of the dissolution of a small military cemetery in Leopoldsburg.
The park contains over 38,000 graves. One cross was erected for every two burials, so that nearly 20,000 crosses cover the 16-hectare site.
Directions: We had a bit of dificulty finding the park, as it is not well signposted. Look out for the sign to Internationale Jugendbegegnungsstätte Lommel.
Just outside Lommel is the bridge where the start of the "Market" part of Operation Market Garden began on 17 September 1944.
The bridge is named after Lieutenant-Colonel J.O.E (Joe) Vandeleur, who commanded the Irish Guards infantry, who together with the Irish Guards armour, commanded by his cousin, Lieutenant-Colonel G.A.D (Giles) Vandeleur took the bridge on 10 September 1944.
There is a plaque by the bridge.
vichatherly's Related Pages
Lommel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lommel the green town"
- "Operation Market Garden Tour ? Lommel"
- "Lommel visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lommel
- Hotels in Lommel
- Nightlife in Lommel
- Restaurants in Lommel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lommel
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Lommel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lommel
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues