"Cambridge - A City of Punts and Brains" Cambridge by vichatherly
Cambridge Travel Guide: 814 reviews and 1,718 photos
My girlfriend and I decided to take the train up to Cambridge on one of the free weekends...free as in NO football!
We took a chance on the weather and struck lucky. A day in November can be very grim in England but on this day it was sunshine all the way!
We did a small bit of research on VT and google as to what the City might offer us for the day, and as my girlfriend took a physics degree at York University, decided that the Sir Christopher Wren's Library at Trinity College would be a good place to start. After setting off at mid morning we thought that we might not make it to the library, but after a quick train ride and a with a very helpful taxi driver who advised us where to go, we made it with an hour to spare.
We then decided to take in the views of the colleges and make our way to the Fitzwilliam Museum.
Then it was off for a punt around "The Backs", where we joined in with a few others for a 45 minute chauffeured punt, very pleasant too, although we had to restrain ourselves from devouring the two enormous chocolate eclairs that we had just bought in the delicious cake shop “Fitzbillies”. We saved them until afterwards.
We then needed a stroll to burn off the cakes, and so went and took a look aroud the array of shops the Cambridge had to offer.
We wandered our way back to The Anchor, a fine traditional English pub, for few rounds of light refreshment, and took our time deciding on where to have dinner.
As we had already seen their fine cake shop and noticed that there was a decent looking restaurant next door, the verdict was to go for Fitzbillies on Trumpington Street.
A fine three course meal with wine. Then it was a quick cab ride to the station and the end of a first class day out
- Pros:Plenty of culture and history.
- Cons:Might be a busy with tourist in the summer
- In a nutshell:A very brainy place, of which some might have rubbed of on me on my short trip!
I thought they were wort a photo of anyway! more travel advice
We were dropped off here on our way to Sir Christopger Wren's library, which is situated inside Trinity College. "The... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Cambridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just a few Bits about Cambridge"
- "City of cycles and Colleges"
- "Cambridge - My temporary UK hometown"
- "My Home Town!"
- "Oxford is a complete arse...."
- "Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England"
- "Cambridge student haven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridge
- Hotels in Cambridge
- Transportation in Cambridge
- Nightlife in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Shopping in Cambridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambridge
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Cambridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridge
- Posted in Travel East Ham Forum "Re: Friendly pubs"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Cambridge travel pages
- updated a Cambridge Travel Page "Cambridge - A City of Punts and Brains"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cambridge - A City of Punts and Brains"
- Wrote a Review Check out the Chimneys about Walking Around in Cambridge Things to Do
Photos in CambridgeSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 80 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos