"Fort William and the Ben Nevis range" Fort William by vichatherly
Fort William Travel Guide: 211 reviews and 386 photos
We spent two nights in Fort William after our four day tour of the Isle of Skye.
We mainly came here for the Ben Nevis range of mountains, which were spectacular and even had snow on the top in July...well in the shady places.
The town itself is nothing much to shout about...full of tourist shops, large bus and train stations catering for the backpackers and climbers. But it's a great base for exploring the nearby Ben Nevis which is Britain's highest mountain at 1343m.
There can be advantages and disadvantages about going to see Ben Nevis with someone who has climbed it before.
They know the terrain and all the good spots
They don’t want to climb up Ben Nevis again…”it’s a bloody long way up and down
We did however have a good look around the Nevis Range Ski Station and as there was no snow about the mountain bike track was open. We saw some crazy people flying down whilst we were coming down on the gondola.
We spent the next day exploring around Loch Ness and looking for its monster. A lovely drive around the loch, stopping off and visiting the Official Loch Ness Monster Exhibition Centre and Urquhart Castle.
- Pros:Great access to Ben Nevis and Loch Ness
- Cons:Not the prettiest of town planning
- In a nutshell:Keep your eyes open for Nessie!
A beautiful spot for a fitting memorial to those commandos who trained in the Scottish mountains and lost thie lives in... more travel advice
A beautiful place to relax and try and spot Nessie. Loch Ness is undeniably one of the most famous lakes in the world.... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Fort William Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort William - touristy town in highlands"
- "A home away from home"
- "Under Ben Nevis"
- "Fort William - Foot of Ben Nevis"
- "In the Shadow of the Ben..."
- "The highlands in the winter"
- "Fort William and the Ben Nevis range"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort William
- Hotels in Fort William
- Transportation in Fort William
- Nightlife in Fort William
- Restaurants in Fort William
- Shopping in Fort William
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort William
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort William
- 10 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Fort William?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort William
- Posted in Travel Manchester Forum "Re: April in Manchester"
- Commented on one of Sileas's Fort William travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Driving through Glencoe on the way to Skye"
- created a Fort William Travelogue "Driving through Glencoe on the way to Skye"
- Wrote a Review The Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge in Fort William Things to Do
Photos in Fort WilliamSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 166 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues