"Mevagissey" Top 5 Page for this destination Mevagissey by vichatherly

Mevagissey Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 115 photos

Mevagissey - The harbour

My first visit to Cornwall was in the summer of 2009. We spent three nights in the really nice Greystones B&B. Megavissey is a small fishing town, just a few miles south of St Austell. It was once the centre of Cornwall’s pilchard fishery.

We used it as a base to explore the top half of Cornwall.

First night after checking in was spent enjoying the glorious tranquillity of the harbour, along with an ice cream and a decent meal in the Wheel House.

In the morning we walked to the Lost Gardens of Heligan and enjoyed the day walking around the vast grounds. We got the bus back!

Dinner was a really tasty fish and chip supper in the locally recommended Fountain Inn

Newquay and Padstow

The following day we took to the car and headed off to Newquay beach for the day followed by dinner in Rick Steins Bistro in nearby Padstow.

Amazing Basking Sharks

In the morning we grabbed a takeaway breakfast and headed back to Newquay, after getting an early morning call that there were thirty basking sharks in the area.

We had tried to go out in a boat on the day before but there weren’t anymore heading out. Luckily we left my mobile number with them and they were nice enough to give us a call.

I was the cameraman on the boat trip, as I had hurt my foot and am not the most confident of sea swimmers at the best of times. Nicola, my wife, donned the wetsuit and joined the others in the sea with some of the biggest sharks we’d ever seen.

Fortunately basking sharks are strictly vegetarian.

• Pros:Relax in peaceful Cornwall
  • Last visit to Mevagissey: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 22, 2010

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

How great that you saw the basking sharks! Sounds like you stayed at a very good B&B. That looks like a fantastic view to have when you eat breakfast.

vichatherly

“Soaking up as much culture and beer as I can :)”

Badges & Stats in Mevagissey

Have you been to Mevagissey?

Latest Activity in Mevagissey