"Visiting the Eder Dam" Waldeck by vichatherly
Waldeck Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 42 photos
We went to Dortmund for a lovely long weekend in June 2011. The plan was to use Dortmund as a base for a four day tour of the famous Ruhr reservoir dams attacked by RAF 617 squadron in May 1943. The squadron of Lancaster bombers, led by Guy Gibson, had the new bouncing bomb. The daring WWII raid was named as ?Operation Chastise? but afterwards it became better known as ?The Dambusters Raid?.
Our first day was spent visiting the EDER dam around the small town of Waldeck. Then for our second day we spent time exploring Dortmund and sampling some of its excellent local beers and tasty sausages, not too mention the white asparagus.
On day three we drove to the other two dams in our Dambuster tour and went to the MOHNE dam, just south of Soest and the SORPE dam at Langscheid.
For our final day we spent time relaxing in Dortmund, and more specifically at the splendid Westfalenpark before heading back home.
For the full breakdown of the trip, just take a look at the "Operation Chastise June 2011" travelogue.
- Pros:The Cable Car up to the Castle
After visiting the Eder dam, we got directions to this museum from the information booth situated on the dam. We drove... more travel advice
Nearby to the Waldeck Schloss Hotel is a cable car which takes you down to the north shore of the Edersee. The return... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Waldeck Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Waldeck
- Hotels in Waldeck
- Transportation in Waldeck
- Restaurants in Waldeck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waldeck
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Waldeck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waldeck
Photos in WaldeckSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues