Rome Things to Do Tips by vichatherly
Rome Things to Do: 5,348 reviews and 10,062 photos
Santa Maria Maggiore
This church looks spectacular from whicjever side you approach it. The pictures is takien from The Piazza dell'Esquilino with the apse area of Santa Maria Maggiore showing.
The name of the church reflects two ideas of greatness ("major"), that of a major (or papal) basilica and that of the largest (major) church in Rome dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary
It is well worth a visit inside this church epecially for the the Borghese Chapel.
Address: Via Liberiana, 27 00185 Roma
Give yourself a day to take in the sights of this beautiful place.
This is a great place to spend the morning getting away from the hustle and bustle of the Rome streets.
There isn't much shade, so best to visit when the sun is not at it height.
This is a very historical spot in Rome. Although it looks like a building site and you may be excused for asking for a hard hat and steel toe-capped boots to enter the area.
The forum is the place where public meetings were held, important announcements made, and where famous orators would speak. "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears" etc.
Directions: It starts near the Colosseum and continues all the way to Piazza Venezia
Look out for the Elephant supporting an obelisk
Address: Piazza della Minerva
Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II
Arch of Titus
This is a fantastic place and is the one sight you should see every time that you visit Rome.
The quickest way to get into the place, especially if there are a group of you, is to go with one of the many guided tours that are available from the many guides milling around outside. It may not be the cheapest way of doing it, but otherwise give yourself plenty of time to queue up for tickets.
The ticket is a double entry ticket which also includes entry to the nearby Palatine Museum and Roman Forum. You might be able to get tickets in advance over the web. They might be more expensive, but again it may save you hours in the queue, check out Rome Musuem
Directions: Nearest metro B line Metro station Colosseo
Phone: +39 (0)6 399 677 00
This was built by Emperor Hadrian from AD118-28. It was built as a temple and then used as a church for the early Christians.
It is a massive place and is an engineering marvel. It has one of the world’s largest domes.
Step inside to see the intentional hole in the ceiling from where the sun shines in or rain pours in.
Address: Piazza della Rontonda
This piazza is a beautiful place to relax and stop for a while. It's full of fountains and ringed by restaurants and cafes.
It owes its elliptical shape to a stadium and racetrack that was built here in AD86 by Emperor Domitian.
Be ready to take plenty of pictures of fountains from all angles.
More Reviews (10)
vichatherly's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Explore the World
- Toft Monks Hotels
- Mizpe Ramon Hotels
- Yokum Hotels
- Houghton on the Hill Hotels
- Great Stirrup Cay
- Kampong Pantai Batu Hitam
- Palm Coast
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 23 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 31 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Milan Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (12)
Latest Rome hotel reviews
- WRH Termini
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013
- 1 Step from St. Peter
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Montreal Hotel
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- La Conchiglia
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- 509 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- William Residence
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2012
- Hotel Victor
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Hotel Felice
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Cinecitta Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 29, 2012
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- House of Alessia B&B
- 1 Review & Opinion
- 69 Manin Street De Luxe
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Hotel Lodi
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- ADVENTURE HOTEL
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2012
- Le Petit Hotel
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2013
- Colosseum- 488 Reviews, 883 Photos
- Trevi Fountain- 328 Reviews, 534 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 183 Reviews, 299 Photos
- Roman Forum- 295 Reviews, 548 Photos
- Pantheon- 261 Reviews, 523 Photos
- Piazza di Spagna - Spanish Steps- 294 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 140 Reviews, 259 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 234 Reviews, 401 Photos
- Villa Borghese- 88 Reviews, 154 Photos
- Campo dei Fiori- 59 Reviews, 103 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do