"Keswick - In the Lake District" Keswick by vichatherly
Keswick Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 342 photos
In summer 2011 we spent four nights in a lovely B&B in Keswick, the gateway to the Lake District.
We had not really been to the Lakes before and had a great time enjoying the open air and the sumptuous pub grub after some long, and other not so long, hikes around the surrounding countryside.
Keswick is a small, but delightful, place with a bustling town centre. It's a great base for exploring the Cumbrian Lake District.
During the days we hiked to Castlerigg Stone Circle and continued up to the high point at Walla Crag finishing with a gentle cruise on Derwentwater.
In the evenings, we frequented one or more of the great pubs in Keswick and found that we needed to keep active during the following days, to work of the previous evenings huge meals.
We used the car to get out to nearby Grasmere for some gingerbread and then onto Bowness-on-Windermere and Hawkshead to see what Beatrix Potter had to offer.
Hardknott Pass, with its with a gradient of 1 in 3, a steep, narrow and winding switchback road was also partially explored by car along with Wrynose (Rhino) Pass.
In a more peaceful vein,we got back to nature when we visited the splendid Osprey viewing point run by the RSPB at Dodd Wood and also spent a few hours, later on in the day, in a lower down hide, watching otters swimming happily.
The Jennings Brewery at Cockermouth was also visited with six half pints being enjoyed by me, the non driver.
Before we left the lakes for home, the lake at Buttermere was also circumvented with a gentle stroll.
Keswick is definitely a place to come back to.
If you find yourself sitting for too many weeks behind a desk, visit the Lake District, stretch your legs and fill your lungs with clean fresh Cumbrian air.
- Pros:Clean, Fresh Air
- Cons:Expect to get WET at some stage of your visit
- In a nutshell:A great base to explore the Lake District
Hope Park is a lovely space in Keswick to enjoy relaxing on a park bench. Maybe take in a game of crazy golf. more travel advice
We popped in here for a lovely plate of haddock and chips, all washed down with a splendid cup of tea. To have a sit... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Keswick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lake District - One of My Favorite Places On Earth"
- "Keswick - Queen Of The Lakes"
- "CUMBRIA - THE LAKE DISTRICT"
- "Keswick and Derwent Water"
- "The ideal Lake District town"
- "Keswick - Lake District"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Keswick
- Hotels in Keswick
- Transportation in Keswick
- Nightlife in Keswick
- Restaurants in Keswick
- Shopping in Keswick
- Warnings and Dangers in Keswick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Keswick
- 10 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Keswick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Keswick
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues