Arromanches-les-Bains Things to Do Tips by vichatherly
Arromanches-les-Bains Things to Do: 16 reviews and 56 photos
Mulberry Harbour Phoenix
The idea of the Mulberry harbours is said to have originated from no lesser than Sir Winston Churchill.
Piers for use on beaches - They must float up and down with the tide. The anchor problem must be mastered. Let me have the best solution. Don't argue the matter. The difficulties will argue for themselves.
Two harbours were designed and constructed in less than ten months. They were both the size of Dover and were vital in getting the supplies to the Normandy beachheads . One was for the Americans at Omaha beach and one for the British, here at Arromanches.
Over four hundred parts were built in Britain and then towed over on the afternoon of D-Day. They were made up of Gooseberries (sunken ships forming a basic breakwater), Phoenixes (huge hollow concrete boxes, placed in a semi circle and sunk to form a harbour wall) and Whales or Beetles (flexible roadways).
The remnants of the harbour you can now see at Arromanches are some of the 146 Phoenixes built. Incredible that they have lasted this long.
D-Day Beach - Gold
Assault time 07:25
The weather was really rough on the morning of 6th June 1944 when the British, 50th Northumbrian Division landed on the beach
8th Armoured Brigade DD Tanks
6th Battalion, The Green Howards
5th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment
1st Battalion, Dorset Regiment
1st Battalion, Royal Hampshire Regiment.
Objective of the Day
The objective of the day was to capture Bayeux, establish a bridgehead across the N13 Bayeux to Caen road, to take the German gun battery at Longues and to establish contact with the flanking formations.
Arromanches 360 Cinema
This cinema is situated on the top of the hill and shows a moving film called "The Price of Freedom". The film is projected onto 9 screens and you find yourself totally drawn into it.
It's well worth a visit.
The Arromanches 360 Circular Theater is open 7/7. A show at 10 past and 40 past each hour
Address: Arromanches 360, chemin du calvaire
Musee Du Debarquement - Arromanches
This museum gives you a great overview of the D-Day landings. It tells you about the wonderful Mulberry Harbour that was transported piece by piece over the English Channel to France.
It includes a huge moving exhibit of the harbour and also a short film.
Address: Place du 6 Juin 14117 Arromanches
Directions: Near the beach
More Reviews (1)
vichatherly's Related Pages
Arromanches-les-Bains Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arromanches les Bains or Port Wintston"
- "D-Day, the WW II invasion and the Mullberry port"
- "nice village"
- "the Allied artificial harbour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Hotels in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Transportation in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Restaurants in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Warnings and Dangers in Arromanches-les-Bains
- See All...
Explore the World
- Najran Hotels
- Bath Hotels
- Kerrville Hotels
- Haberman Hotels
- Port Clinton
Badges & Stats in Arromanches-les-Bains
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Arromanches-les-Bains?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Posted in Travel Windsor Forum "Re: NEW YEAR'S EVE IN WINDSOR"
- Wrote a Review Explore the Remains of the Mulberry Harbour in Arromanches-les-Bains Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent Lunch"
- updated a Arromanches-les-Bains Travel Page "Arromanches-les-Bains"
- Commented on one of ranger49's Arromanches-les-Bains travel pages
Photos in Arromanches-les-BainsSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 79 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 31 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos