"Benouville - Pegasus Bridge" Bénouville by vichatherly
Bénouville Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 54 photos
We visited Benouville on the last day of our four day tour of the D-Day Normandy beaches. We specifically went to see the famous Pegasus Bridge and to take a cup of tea at Cafe Gondree.
There is also a great Pegasus Memorial Museum to take a few hours to wander around.
It is a peaceful spot now but it must have been very different in June 1944.
The principal purpose of the trip was to visit the World War II beaches of Normandy. The beaches cover an area of over 60 miles and so we based ourselves in Bayeux, which put us in a fantastic central location.
We packed into our short stay the following villages and towns Arromanches-les-Bains for Gold beach and the Mulberry Harbour, Sainte-Mère-Église for the church, Utah beach and the US Airborne museum, Maisy for the batteries at Maisy and Pointe du Hoc, Colleville-sur-Mer for Omaha beach and the American Cemetery, Courseulles-sur-Mer for Juno beach, Bénouville for Pegasus Bridge and the Memorial Museum, Ouistreham for Sword beach, Merville-Franceville-Plage for the gun battery and Ranville for the CWGC Cemetery.
- Pros:Pegasus Bridge
- In a nutshell:A now quiet village where our freedom was fought for.
Across the new Pegasus bridge is the exact spot of where the Horsa gliders actually landed on the night of the 5th June... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Bénouville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BENOUVILLE AND THE PEGASUS BRIDGE AND CAFE"
- "Benouville, history and monuments"
- "Benouville - Pegasus Bridge"
- "The Second Best Reason to visit Benouville"
- "Pégasus Bridge and more!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bénouville
- 3 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Bénouville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bénouville
Photos in BénouvilleSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 80 reviews, 145 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos