"Merville-Franceville" Merville-Franceville-Plage by vichatherly

Merville-Franceville-Plage Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos

Musée de la Batterie de Merville

We visited Merville on the last afternoon of our four day tour of Normandy and the D-Day beaches. We specifically came here to visit the Musée de la Batterie de Merville, which was well worth the trip.

The principal purpose of the trip was to visit the World War II beaches of Normandy. The beaches cover an area of over 60 miles and so we based ourselves in Bayeux, which put us in a fantastic central location.

We packed into our short stay the following villages and towns Arromanches-les-Bains for Gold beach and the Mulberry Harbour, Sainte-Mère-Église for the church, Utah beach and the US Airborne museum, Maisy for the batteries at Maisy and Pointe du Hoc, Colleville-sur-Mer for Omaha beach and the American Cemetery, Courseulles-sur-Mer for Juno beach, Bénouville for Pegasus Bridge and the Memorial Museum, Ouistreham for Sword beach, Merville-Franceville-Plage for the gun battery and Ranville for the CWGC Cemetery.

We were based in Bayeux and were heading back to the ferry port at Ouistreham.

• Last visit to Merville-Franceville-Plage: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2009

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 3:42 AM

We are making a special stop-over to visit this battery next month. It's the last major D-Day site for us to visit. Thanks for your really helpful tip which I have saved in my "trip planner" .

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Very interesting for my husband's reading. I'll forward it over to his email. Would love to make a trip in that direction.

vichatherly

“Soaking up as much culture and beer as I can :)”

Badges & Stats in Merville-Franceville-Plage

Have you been to Merville-Franceville-Plage?

Latest Activity in Merville-Franceville-Plage