"Dortmund - Operation Chastise Dambusters Tour 2011" Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund by vichatherly
Dortmund Travel Guide: 152 reviews and 464 photos
We went to Dortmund for a lovely long weekend in June 2011. The plan was to use Dortmund as a base for a four day tour of the famous Ruhr reservoir dams attacked by RAF 617 squadron in May 1943. The squadron of Lancaster bombers, led by Guy Gibson, had the new bouncing bomb. The daring WWII raid was named as “Operation Chastise” but afterwards it became better known as “The Dambusters Raid”.
Our first day was spent visiting the EDER dam around the small town of Waldeck. Then for our second day we spent time exploring Dortmund and sampling some of its excellent local beers and tasty sausages, not too mention the white asparagus.
On day three we drove to the other two dams in our Dambuster tour and went to the MOHNE dam, just south of Soest and the SORPE dam at Langscheid.
For our final day we spent time relaxing in Dortmund, and more specifically at the splendid Westfalenpark before heading back home.
For the full breakdown of the trip, just take a look at the "Operation Chastise June 2011" travelogue.
My first visit to Dortmund was for the UEFA Champions League Semi Final 1st Leg game.
Manchester United played Borussia Dortmund in the Westfalenstadion on 9th April 1997. Unfortunately we lost 1-0.
Excellent place to have a party, especially to James Brown at half-time. Even had a good time after I broke my camera when Nicky Butt hit the post!
- Pros:The German Beer and Hospitality
- In a nutshell:Everything always runs smoothly in Germany
This is another fine establishment that you will find in Am Markt. The Pfefferkorn restaurant is part of the bar and so... more travel advice
Take time for a few minutes peace in Hiroshima Square and take a look at the bronze figure of "Mother Hiroshima" by... more travel advice
vichatherly's Related Pages
Dortmund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dortmund"
- "RitchiS1's new Dortmund Page"
- "Opera and cycling in Dortmund"
- "Dortmund - Operation Chastise Dambusters Tour 2011"
- "Dortmund in Advent"
- "Not just a short visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dortmund
- Hotels in Dortmund
- Transportation in Dortmund
- Nightlife in Dortmund
- Restaurants in Dortmund
- Shopping in Dortmund
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dortmund
- 12 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Dortmund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dortmund
- Posted in Travel Death Valley National Park Forum "Re: 4 day itenary"
- updated a Dortmund Travelogue "Pictures from the CL Semi Final 1997 trip"
- Wrote a Review Excellent Beer & Schnitzel in Dortmund Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent Beer & Schnitzel"
- Commented on one of eddilowe's Dortmund travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knebworth Intro, 33 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chatham Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 22 reviews, 54 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 22 reviews, 52 photos
- Bayeux Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues