"Dusseldorf" Düsseldorf by vichatherly

Düsseldorf Travel Guide: 944 reviews and 2,159 photos

Getting to Dusseldorf

I spent one night in Dusseldorf in April 2010.

I was there as a stopover on the way to Gelsenkirchen for the UEFA Champions League Semi Final 1st Leg match, Schalke 04 v Manchester United.

Leaving my house at 05:45, I picked up some friends at Dartford at 06:30 and then met the other lads, who were going on the trip, at Cheriton at 07:30. We then headed off, in our trusty minibus, for the 08:50 Eurotunnel train crossing.

From Calais, we went through Belgium, Netherlands and finally crossed the border into Germany at about 14:00, local time. The SatNav held up well, only getting itself confused once, around Nijmegen, Holland.

We had match tickets to pick up, and so we headed past Dusseldorf and onto to the Veltins Arena, at nearby Gelsenkirchen.

After getting the tickets we headed back to Dusseldorf and checked in late afternoon at the InterCity Hotel in the city centre.

Out on the Town

It was then a quick shower in the hotel before heading out for the evening to see what delights Dusseldorf had in store for us. We started off with a quick drink across the road from the hotel at a friendly Italian restaurant...beers only at this stage though.

We then headed off to walk to the Old Town district and started off at the huge bar called Im Goldenen Ring. We had arrived on a Bank Holiday Monday and so it was quite busy. It was nice to sit outside, enjoy the April sunshine, and watch the locals in and around the Rheinuferpromenade. We tried a taste of the local Frankenheim Alt Beer, which is a dark beer; to be honest it was not really to my cup of tea although, come to think of it, it did taste rather like cold tea.

We were now getting hungry and so took a recommendation to head down to a local restaurant called Ham Ham. I was looking forward to a huge pork knuckle with mash potato and I was not disappointed. All for around 15 euro.

It was then back to the Im Goldenen Ring and then the night became a decent bar crawl up the street, with a taxi back to my hotel at around 02:30.

Match Day - off to Gelsenkirchen

I was up bright eyed at about 10:30. Breakfast was not included in the hotel room, and I would have missed it anyway. I checked out and waited, over coffee and a toasted sandwich in the cafe next door, for the others to do the same.

Everybody made it down eventually and so after a couple of beers, it was afternoon by then, we headed off to Gelsenkirchen at around 15:00, for the match against Schalke 04.

Dusseldorf is a fun place with plenty of nightlife and so is well worth a visit.

• Pros:Plenty of friendly bars and restaurants to keep you busy
  • Last visit to Düsseldorf: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Some interesting statues here! What a big meal, I don't think I would have been able to eat it all!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Vic, fabulous start about Düsseldorf here. I am looking forward to seeing more.

vichatherly

“Soaking up as much culture and beer as I can :)”

Badges & Stats in Düsseldorf

Have you been to Düsseldorf?

Latest Activity in Düsseldorf