"The perfect city......." Pienza by piccolina
Pienza Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 264 photos
Pienza is a Renaissance city planned by Rossellino – following the will of Pope Pio II, Enea Silvio Piccolomini.The works of Rossellino include the 14th-century cathedral with carved wooden choir, paintings by Vecchietta, Matteo di Giovanni and Sano di Pietro, and Palazzo Piccolomini, inspired by the forms of Palazzo Rucellai in Florence with its ashlar façades. On its three floors the mullioned windows are between pilaster strips, whereas the courtyard emphasizes the Florentine matrix with arched portico on Corinthian columns. Other Palazzi can be seen on the square: the Casa dei Canonici (the vicarage), home of the cathedral museum which contains works from the school of Sodoma, Flemish tapestries of the 15th and16th centuries, 14th-century wooden sculptures and pope Pius II's cope. Then there are the episcopal residence and the town hall. The pensile garden at Palazzo Piccolomini is of interestand fromhere itis possible to view the Val d'Orcia.
An excellent example of romanesque art is Corsignano church, just outside the walls, and then within only a few kilometres of the town one can visit Spedaletto castle in the centre of the valley on the river Orcia and S. Anna in Camprena, an Olivetan monastery built on the site of a former Lombard fort.
Inside the Duomo of Pienza..in the quiet of the evening more travel advice
piccolina's Related Pages
Pienza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wonderful Town Of Pienza"
- "Italy's Most Beautiful Spot"
- "Pienza, il cuore della Toscana"
- "The beautiful Val d'Orcia"
- "Pienza, Bagno Vignoni and Sant Antimo"
- "The Pecorino town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pienza
- Hotels in Pienza
- Transportation in Pienza
- Nightlife in Pienza
- Restaurants in Pienza
- Shopping in Pienza
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pienza
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Pienza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pienza
Top 10 Pages
- Torino Intro, 34 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Versailles Intro, 27 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martinique Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mondovì Intro, 3 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Taranto Intro, 16 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 1 review, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Siracusa Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue