"Cabana Boy's Yellowknife Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife by Cabana_Boy
Yellowknife Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 222 photos
Welcome to Yellowknife...Capital of Canada's Northwest Territories. Located nearly 500km South of the Artic Circle on the shores of the Great Slave Lake, Yellowknife has a population around 18,000 and accounts for roughly one-third of all the people living in the Northwest Territories (before NWT was split into two territories: Northwest and Nunavut). As I was told, the name Yellowknife was derived from the yellow dust stains that clung to knifes the local Indians (The Dene) used to carry.
I spent a weekend in Yellowknife in August 1998 with co-worker and trusty travel companion BGK while working in Vancouver. Our criterion for travel that weekend was to get as far North (in Canada) as regularly scheduled flights would take us (unfortunately we had to return to work in Vancouver the following Monday). Yellowknife was the obvious choice being above the 60th parallel. Visiting Yellowknife was a non-stop blast... We spent the first night hanging out in some bar trying to get another flight even farther North to Resolute Bay. While debating with a flight attendant from Air Canada on how to accomplish this, the night passed into a drunken blur.
The next day (Saturday), we scoped out downtown Yellowknife by talking with the locals: where to go, what to do, etc. This research set our agenda for the rest of the weekend, which is chronicled within these web pages. So, check out the rest of my Yellowknife page for more details, information & stories.
The photo above was taken around 3am (if I remember right) after coming back to our hotel from the bars. The sun never really seemed to totally set beyond the horizon, there was thin layer of reddish orange left on the horizon when I took my camera and tripod down to go to bed. The photo is a time-lapse exposure; I set up my tripod and exposed the film for about 30 minutes. All the while, I could hear the coyotes running around the hill that I had sat on top of...very wild as I felt that they were hunting me in a way.
This is a place for real Bush Pilots and explorers (mostly geologists looking for minerals in the Canadian tundra). So... more travel advice
One of my fondest memories of Yellowknife was meeting and drinking Tequila with Damien, a cute little 19 year old... more travel advice
Cabana_Boy's Related Pages
Yellowknife Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North of 60! Yellowknife, Northwest Territories!"
- "Cabana Boy's Yellowknife Page"
- "Close to the Arctic Circle"
- "Darby2's Yellowknife Page"
- "Macgyver-11's new Yellowknife Page"
- "Yellowknife - Northwest Territories - Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yellowknife
- Hotels in Yellowknife
- Transportation in Yellowknife
- Nightlife in Yellowknife
- Restaurants in Yellowknife
- Shopping in Yellowknife
- Warnings and Dangers in Yellowknife
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yellowknife
- 12 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Yellowknife?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yellowknife
Photos in YellowknifeSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 31 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Dallas Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos