"Cabana Boy's Yellowknife Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife by Cabana_Boy

Yellowknife Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 222 photos

Welcome to Yellowknife...Capital of Canada's Northwest Territories. Located nearly 500km South of the Artic Circle on the shores of the Great Slave Lake, Yellowknife has a population around 18,000 and accounts for roughly one-third of all the people living in the Northwest Territories (before NWT was split into two territories: Northwest and Nunavut). As I was told, the name Yellowknife was derived from the yellow dust stains that clung to knifes the local Indians (The Dene) used to carry.

I spent a weekend in Yellowknife in August 1998 with co-worker and trusty travel companion BGK while working in Vancouver. Our criterion for travel that weekend was to get as far North (in Canada) as regularly scheduled flights would take us (unfortunately we had to return to work in Vancouver the following Monday). Yellowknife was the obvious choice being above the 60th parallel. Visiting Yellowknife was a non-stop blast... We spent the first night hanging out in some bar trying to get another flight even farther North to Resolute Bay. While debating with a flight attendant from Air Canada on how to accomplish this, the night passed into a drunken blur.

The next day (Saturday), we scoped out downtown Yellowknife by talking with the locals: where to go, what to do, etc. This research set our agenda for the rest of the weekend, which is chronicled within these web pages. So, check out the rest of my Yellowknife page for more details, information & stories.

The photo above was taken around 3am (if I remember right) after coming back to our hotel from the bars. The sun never really seemed to totally set beyond the horizon, there was thin layer of reddish orange left on the horizon when I took my camera and tripod down to go to bed. The photo is a time-lapse exposure; I set up my tripod and exposed the film for about 30 minutes. All the while, I could hear the coyotes running around the hill that I had sat on top of...very wild as I felt that they were hunting me in a way.

• Last visit to Yellowknife: Aug 1998
  • Intro Updated Sep 4, 2003

• ykphil's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 4:23 PM

I live in YK (22 years), and although I wish CB was wrong about the local bar scene, he's not! Not to generalize, but drugs, alcohol and waht goes with them are killing First Nations who were not long ago proud and independent people.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 6:08 AM

I was thinking about Yellowknife last week - now I really gotta go!

• melissadawn22's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 5:59 AM

i have lived in yellowknife for almost 2 years now and i have never been so offened in my life it sounds as tho you have some issues with native people.

• aqazi's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2004 at 10:17 AM

Hey this is a great page, nice one!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 7:19 PM

Finally! A Yellowknife page that cuts through all the hype!

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2003 at 7:50 AM

What a great idea for a spur of a moment trip.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

• Jul 14, 2002 at 12:34 AM

Sounds great,nice informations:)))))))

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2002 at 11:55 PM

Looks like you saw the real thing ;)

Cabana_Boy

“When the chips are down, buffalo move on...”

Badges & Stats in Yellowknife

Have you been to Yellowknife?

Latest Activity in Yellowknife