"Cabana Boy's Somerville Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville by Cabana_Boy
Somerville Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 71 photos
Welcome to Somerville, Massachusetts (a.k.a. Slummerville) a fine working class Boston neighborhood. Somverville's most recent claim to national fame is playing host to the Winter Hill Gang whose organized crime ring reached it's zenith in the 1980s under the direction of James "Whitey" Bulger and Stephen "the Rifleman" Flemmi. These two dudes burned both ends of rope so to speak by serving as FBI informants while they continued their usual gangster type activities...ha-ha, very clever...
With those days behind it, Somerville is on the move again getting groovier each year. Primarily an Irish and Portuguese neighborhood, more and more college students and new arrivals to Boston's dot.com boom (and subsequent bust) have relocated to Somerville in search of cheaper rents (relatively speaking compared to other Boston neighborhoods). In turn, this has brought renewed attention and investment to Somerville in terms of new pubs, restaurants and shops. As a result, the various city squares in Somerville are booming.
Despite all of this, Somerville still has some connections to the extreme past. The photo above is what's left of the Citadel built in 1775 after the American Colonial Army withdrew from Bunker Hill during the American Revolutionary War to a hill in what is now present day Somerville.
But enough history...Check out my "General" sections for the coolest Squares in Somerville and then the "restaurant" and "nightlife" sections for all the places to eat, drink and hangout in each square.
Wherever you go, whatever you do, sampling the local beer is definite must!!! What do the locals drink, what beer is... more travel advice
Ahhhh, that New England accent…here is a quick language lesson: the consonant “r” is pronounced as “ah” and the vowel... more travel advice
- See All The Independent
- See All Looking for something a little...
- Somerville is a working class...
- Bump-n-grinding in Somerville
Cabana_Boy's Related Pages
Somerville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Diverse Student Community"
- "Somerville, urban "surburb" of Boston"
- "Cabana Boy's Somerville Page"
- "The Town I Currently Call Home"
- "diver-x's Somerville Page"
- "I love Somerville!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Somerville
- Hotels in Somerville
- Transportation in Somerville
- Nightlife in Somerville
- Restaurants in Somerville
- Shopping in Somerville
- Warnings and Dangers in Somerville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Somerville
- 28 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Somerville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Somerville
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Camera Shops - Amsterdam"
- Wrote a Review The beer hunt continues....in Somerville!!! in Somerville Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "The beer hunt continues....in Somerville!!!"
- Commented on one of diver-x's Somerville travel pages
- updated a Somerville Travel Page "Cabana Boy's Somerville Page"
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 31 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Dallas Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos