"Cabana Boy's Indianapolis Page" Indianapolis by Cabana_Boy

Indianapolis Travel Guide: 538 reviews and 929 photos

Indianapolis is my birthplace. After growing up in a small town (Noblesville or Noblestucky as some say) about twenty miles North of Indianapolis and going to university in Muncie, Indiana; I moved to downtown Indianapolis in 1993. I lived there until late 1997, when I moved to Dallas, Texas.

Anyway, Indianapolis is one of those cities that has a small town feeling; so, walking around downtown doesn't always leave you feeling lost and lonely among the tall buildings, even when you are the only person in the street.

During the four years I lived downtown, Indianapolis changed a great deal. More and more people started to re-discover city living, as result, more and more shops, restaurants and bars opened downtown. This trend has continued well into the years that I have been gone from Indy. Some of my favorite places got better, some became more popular but not necessarily better; and, I am happy to report that some have not changed at all.

Each time that I am back, I have a different feeling over the "progress" being made in the city that brought me into this world. Actually, my wonderful mother did all that work, but I won't bother you with those details (my mother likes to remind me of them every year on my birthday...oh, there was ice on the streets when we rushed to the hospital, etc., etc.)....

Anyway, back to the "progress", it seems the city has a penchant for ripping down older buildings in favor of "flat" lots, which is particularly troublesome since "flat" lots have no character. This has become such a problem that certain parts of the city look like it has had holes blown in it...for _ _ _ _ sake, they even tore down MSA where the King had his last performance. Now, I am not much of an Elvis fan, but come on... Finally, there's the absurd...all those brand new $300k condos made to look "old" being built along Ohio Street...that's the same crap being built off 86th street....simply tragic, simply Indianapolis....

But when you think all hope is lost, you turn to see some of the architecture that will never go away... I have always loved the little Glencoe building on Penn. Then there's the Athenaeum, who wouldn't like kicking back with a few beers in the biergarten watching the western sun set over the city... And lets not forget the quaint houses and neighborhood of Lockerbie Square.

But Indy's best architecture remains all the war memorials on Monument Circle, the American Legion Mall and the Veteran's Memorial Plaza, which also makes for excellent green space that most major cities cannot even begin to boast about. Independence Day on the American Legion Mall is a must for anyone living or visiting the area in July as is the Memorial Day parade in late May (a.k.a. 500 Festival Parade).

So, no matter how pissed I get when the city rips a building down in favor of being able to park one more car, I will always return to raise my glass and drink to Indianapolis because it is my hometown.

• Last visit to Indianapolis: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2007

• Noiseman433's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Italian belly dancers at Amici's? How long ago was this?

• recipe_addict's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2004 at 8:11 PM

The Chatterbox is really a neat place. I especially love to go and sit outside at the tables, when the weather permits.

• phildeni's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2002 at 4:15 PM

All pages about Indy are great! I grew up there. Went to Broad Ripple H.S. and Butler. That was a hundred years ago!! I have some pages also..not as "hip" as yours.

Cabana_Boy Used To Live Here!

Cabana_Boy

“When the chips are down, buffalo move on...”

Badges & Stats in Indianapolis

Have you been to Indianapolis?

Friends