"Cabana Boy's Indianapolis Page" Indianapolis by Cabana_Boy
Indianapolis Travel Guide: 535 reviews and 898 photos
Indianapolis is my birthplace. After growing up in a small town (Noblesville or Noblestucky as some say) about twenty miles North of Indianapolis and going to university in Muncie, Indiana; I moved to downtown Indianapolis in 1993. I lived there until late 1997, when I moved to Dallas, Texas.
Anyway, Indianapolis is one of those cities that has a small town feeling; so, walking around downtown doesn't always leave you feeling lost and lonely among the tall buildings, even when you are the only person in the street.
During the four years I lived downtown, Indianapolis changed a great deal. More and more people started to re-discover city living, as result, more and more shops, restaurants and bars opened downtown. This trend has continued well into the years that I have been gone from Indy. Some of my favorite places got better, some became more popular but not necessarily better; and, I am happy to report that some have not changed at all.
Each time that I am back, I have a different feeling over the "progress" being made in the city that brought me into this world. Actually, my wonderful mother did all that work, but I won't bother you with those details (my mother likes to remind me of them every year on my birthday...oh, there was ice on the streets when we rushed to the hospital, etc., etc.)....
Anyway, back to the "progress", it seems the city has a penchant for ripping down older buildings in favor of "flat" lots, which is particularly troublesome since "flat" lots have no character. This has become such a problem that certain parts of the city look like it has had holes blown in it...for _ _ _ _ sake, they even tore down MSA where the King had his last performance. Now, I am not much of an Elvis fan, but come on... Finally, there's the absurd...all those brand new $300k condos made to look "old" being built along Ohio Street...that's the same crap being built off 86th street....simply tragic, simply Indianapolis....
But when you think all hope is lost, you turn to see some of the architecture that will never go away... I have always loved the little Glencoe building on Penn. Then there's the Athenaeum, who wouldn't like kicking back with a few beers in the biergarten watching the western sun set over the city... And lets not forget the quaint houses and neighborhood of Lockerbie Square.
But Indy's best architecture remains all the war memorials on Monument Circle, the American Legion Mall and the Veteran's Memorial Plaza, which also makes for excellent green space that most major cities cannot even begin to boast about. Independence Day on the American Legion Mall is a must for anyone living or visiting the area in July as is the Memorial Day parade in late May (a.k.a. 500 Festival Parade).
So, no matter how pissed I get when the city rips a building down in favor of being able to park one more car, I will always return to raise my glass and drink to Indianapolis because it is my hometown.
I wish to register a complaint...and it's not about a dead parrot! And, since there are no good VT categories for... more travel advice
I had been kayaking in New England and just got back from kayaking in Newfoundland, so, I did not expect much from Eagle... more travel advice
- See All Hotel availability...
- See All The Vogue
- See All The Corner Wine Bar
- Check out an architectural salvage...
- See All Hampton Inn
Cabana_Boy's Related Pages
Indianapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "INDIANAPOLIS: Artist, Athlete, Historian, Patiot"
- "The Circle City"
- "indianapolis, in"
- "Fast, yet Friendly City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Indianapolis
- Hotels in Indianapolis
- Transportation in Indianapolis
- Nightlife in Indianapolis
- Restaurants in Indianapolis
- Shopping in Indianapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Indianapolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Indianapolis
- 23 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Indianapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indianapolis
Photos in IndianapolisSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 31 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Dallas Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
Latest Indianapolis hotel reviews
- Residence Inn Indianapolis North
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2012
- Four Points by Sheraton Indianapolis Carmel
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Jameson Inn Indianapolis-Carmel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Park Place at City Centre
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 18, 2013
- Dollar Inn - Indianapolis
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 12, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
- 417 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- The Westin Indianapolis
- 621 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Columbia Club
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- All Nations Bed and Breakfast
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2011
- Comfort Inn West - Indianapolis
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- University Place Conference Center & Hotel Indianapolis
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hampton Inn Indianapolis Downtown
- 260 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Extended StayAmerica Indianapolis-Airport
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Wyndham Indianapolis West
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013