"Cabana Boy's Stonehaven Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Stonehaven by Cabana_Boy
Stonehaven Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 130 photos
Since 2002, I’ve found myself in Aberdeen, Scotland at least once a year. And every time I make it to Aberdeen, I find time for a side trip to Stonehaven. Surrounded by hills of green grass with cows chewing their cud, Stonehaven is the quintessential little Scottish fishing village on the rocky shores of the North Sea.
In the summer months everyone comes down to the bars and restaurants along the port to catch a glimpse of the Sun. In the winter months, the winds are blowing a gale off the North Sea and everyone is boarded up in the pubs to stay warm…and that’s something you’ve got to respect about the Scots, whatever the season, the pubs play an important role…a true focal point if you will…
In January 2003 I first went to Dunnottar Castle with Jay, but it was closed so we tucked into the Hook and Eye down near the port and wasted the day away. Later that year, I went back to Dunnottar Castle which was closed again, so I walked the North Sea coastline back to Stonehaven in late summer.
In 2004, I was back again in late summer and combined my 2003 visits…Dunnottar Castle (closed again), walked the North Sea coastline back to Stonehaven and tucked into the Hook and Eye for a few pints of McEwan’s Ale. Winter 2005 was no different, just a little colder and no hint of the Sun, the Hook and Eye was a little more crowded.
In 2006 I gave up on trying to get into Dunnottar Castle, so BGK took me to The Creel Inn for a feast of fresh seafood and sampling of Belgium Ales. In 2007, we hit The Carron for food and drink in the heart of Stonehaven. One of these days, I’ll check the actual hours that Dunnottar Castle is open and might actually see the inside of it…perhaps 2008 will be that year.
- Pros:Nice little pubs, local restaurants and lots of cows...
- Cons:It's thousands of miles from where I am right now....
- In a nutshell:A place time has left alone and the North Sea has yet to claim....
Wherever you go, whatever you do, sampling the local beer is definite must. What do the locals drink, what beer is most... more travel advice
Cabana_Boy's Related Pages
Stonehaven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South & Royal Deeside & Stonehaven"
- "Cabana Boy's Stonehaven Page"
- "A Gem of a Find"
- "Stonehaven & Dunnotar Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stonehaven
- Hotels in Stonehaven
- Transportation in Stonehaven
- Nightlife in Stonehaven
- Restaurants in Stonehaven
- Shopping in Stonehaven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stonehaven
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Stonehaven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonehaven
Photos in StonehavenSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 31 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Dallas Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos