Douala Things to Do Tips by Cabana_Boy Top 5 Page for this destination
Douala Things to Do: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Street cafe near Limbe, Cameroon
A good afternoon's drive would be to the mountainside town of Buea via Limbe, about one and half hours from Douala's city center. Buea is perhaps the highest village on Mt. Cameroon, which also means it will probably be the first to go next time the volcano erupts.
Regardless, Buea is an old town with some German architectural influences that remain from the early colonial days when the Germans moved up the volcano to distance themselves from the French and English along the coast. Actually, the Germans probably settled at the higher elevation to escape the heat and humidity on the coast. As I ventured up the mountain, I could feel the temperature begin to cool and by the time we reached Buea it felt at least ten degrees cooler than in Douala.
Unfortunately for me, the day I went to Buea there was a heavy cloud cover, so, the summit of Mt. Cameroon was not visible. Naturally, this didn't stop Rolf and I from eating a few chickens and drinking some "33" at one of the locals while enjoying what view we did have...
So, minus the view of the summit, the drive was made worth it by the simple fact that you pass through so many shantytowns with roadside markets. Kids were selling fresh bush meat and vegetables at the side of the road, people washing their cars (or kids) in the streams flowing down the side of the volcano and those who were just sipping "33" in the roadside cafes were all interesting to watch.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Okinawa
- See All The Broadway
- Random police / military road blocks...
- See All The Colonial...
- It's freakin' hot in Douala...
Cabana_Boy's Related Pages
Douala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cabana Boy's Douala Page"
- "Just a stop-over"
- "I spent her one month, and will remember for ever"
- "Capital full of surprises."
- "buzzy Douala port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Douala
- Hotels in Douala
- Transportation in Douala
- Nightlife in Douala
- Restaurants in Douala
- Shopping in Douala
- Warnings and Dangers in Douala
- See All...
Explore the World
- Castle Sinclair Hotels
- Corydon Hotels
- Christmansville Hotels
- Marburg an der Lahn
- Canton de Neuchâtel
- Puerto de Gaira Hotels
Badges & Stats in Douala
- 21 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Douala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Douala
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 31 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Dallas Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos