"Cabana Boy's Douala Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Douala by Cabana_Boy
Douala Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 35 photos
As the plane banked to the left and slowed a bit, our decent provided the view of lush tropical forests and dark, muddy rivers and soon gave way to small wooden shacks, dirt roads and the local inhabitants. Miles and miles of shantytowns turned into slightly more modern structures and roads that were somewhat paved and the late afternoon sun shone brightly off the Atlanta Ocean.
The plane landed, taking the full length of the runway to stop, and as we taxied back to the terminal children could be seen playing on the runway, literally... They were riding bicycles on the runway or kicking a ball on the tarmac. On the grass embankments surrounding the airport terminal, loads of people were sitting around in a similar fashion to a picnic or like spectators at a sporting event. The event it would seem is the landing of my Air France flight from Paris.
I think the mere fact people show up at the Douala airport simply to "watch" a plane land as a form of entertainment says a lot about the cultural differences between developed and undeveloped societies.
Over the next few weeks, I would see more and more cultural "differences" and depart Douala with a deeper appreciation of the day-to-day struggles of the African people as well as the convenience of my homeland. From the hordes of people standing around all day doing literally nothing but standing around to the vibrant nightlife on the streets in snake alley and in the local bars, new scents, tastes and sights were all around me...
My trip to Douala, Cameroon in February 2003 was my first foray onto the Dark Continent. Friends and colleagues who had been there before were quick to tell me what to expect and what sort of "things" I might see and experience (not to mention smell).
With all of my senses ready for action, I must say that Douala lived up to all the expectations that were set. I left the city with lots of fond memories and experiences and the hopes of someday returning for more...
Which I did nearly two years later in November 2004...
The Broadway is a nice little local pub masked as a restaurant/cabaret and set in one of the "better" neighborhoods in... more travel advice
A good afternoon's drive would be to the mountainside town of Buea via Limbe, about one and half hours from Douala's... more travel advice
- Random police / military road blocks...
- See All The Colonial...
- It's freakin' hot in Douala...
- The local markets...
Cabana_Boy's Related Pages
Douala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cabana Boy's Douala Page"
- "Just a stop-over"
- "I spent her one month, and will remember for ever"
- "Capital full of surprises."
- "Douala the biggest city in Cameroon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Douala
- Hotels in Douala
- Transportation in Douala
- Nightlife in Douala
- Restaurants in Douala
- Shopping in Douala
- Warnings and Dangers in Douala
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Douala
- 21 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Douala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Douala
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 31 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luanda Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Dallas Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos