"Cabana_Boy's Bimini Page" Alice Town by Cabana_Boy
Alice Town Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 32 photos
Bimini has had a varied past. Boom times end in bust only to hit boom times again just in the nick of time for poverty sticken islanders.
At the edge of the Gulf Stream, Bimini's early days were as a haven for pirate set to plunder of Spanish Galleons laden with golden on their way back to Spain. After the days of the Spanish Galleons, Bimini was taken over by another type of treasure salvor, those who salvaged cargos from the many commercial vessels that sank on the treachous reefs of the Bahama Islands. With improvements to navigational charts, this business waned as did the economy of Bimini...back to substance. That is until the U.S. Congress saw fit to engage in one of its biggest blunders of social engineering: the Prohibition of Alcohol. Once again, Bimini found its niche as rum runner flocked to the island and investment poured in...so to speak. In fact, there is a cargo ship that was run aground in 1926 and later broken in two by a hurricane that year which remains to this day.
Once the U.S. Congress saw fit to repeal the 18th Amendment (by issuing the 21st Amendment), Bimini had to find a new game...and Papa Hemingway was only too happy to help. Big game fishing in the Bahamain waters became the rage, then other water sports such as boating and scuba diving. Today, Bimini is a mixture of travelers looking to land a big blue Marlin or experience life of tropical fish below the surface or even marine bologists performing cutting edge research on aquatic life.
My Bimini Page will be "under construction" for awhile... Although I do have some text here, I need to locate where my photos are stored. Please come back later for them.
Bimini offers the traveler little other than big game fishing, scuba diving and a few bars to wet your whistle. My trip... more travel advice
Take an early morning walk along the beach near all the pine trees. There is nothing quite like the pale morning light... more travel advice
Cabana_Boy's Related Pages
Alice Town Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alice Town AKA North Bimini AKA Bimini"
- "Cabana_Boy's Bimini Page"
- "JessicaERMSU's new Alice Town, Bimini Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alice Town
- Hotels in Alice Town
- Transportation in Alice Town
- Restaurants in Alice Town
- Shopping in Alice Town
- Warnings and Dangers in Alice Town
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alice Town
- 12 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Alice Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alice Town
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 31 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Dallas Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Indianapolis Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos