"Poland's forgotten spiritual heart" Bieszczady by cheekykev
Bieszczady Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 97 photos
Bieszczady was once located in the historical region of Galicia - a bustling part of Franz Jozef's crumbling Austro-Hungarian empire. During those times it had a rich culture - created by a melting pot of peoples using a multitude of languages and practising a variety of religions in relative harmony. By the time the Second World War began, the region was already in decline. The tragedy that followed ended up creating a region now famous for its wild emptiness - a region in which the traveller can't help becoming a detective on the trail of forgotten peoples and races.
There's some great walking in Bieszczady. you can choose from tracks that will leave you without tired muscles at the end of the day, or you can take on more challenging treks. Whichever, you will find yourself charmed by the scenery and stunned by the views. Whilst walking its also worth keeping an eye out for the traces of the peoples who have now disappeared - the apple trees and rose bushes gone wild - the garden flowers without gardens - the abandoned cemetries.
The region was once populated by a diverse colelction of peoples - foremeost amongst them the Jews, the Bojks and the Lemks. All around you can find evidence of these lost cultures. To get the most from your explorations do a bit of reserach first (the Internet has all the info. you need) and arm yourself with a decent guidebook.
- Pros:Bieszczady is great in any season bar winter for walking
- Cons:If you're looking for luxury hotel style travel avoid Bieszczady
- In a nutshell:One of the most magical areas I've ever been to
cheekykev's Related Pages
Bieszczady Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bieszczady-still wild"
- "Bieszczady re-discovered"
- "Wonderful wilderness of the Bieszczady Mountains"
- "Bieszczady Valleys"
- "In the wilderness"
- "Poland's forgotten spiritual heart"
- "Hiking in Bieszczady area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bieszczady
- Hotels in Bieszczady
- Transportation in Bieszczady
- Restaurants in Bieszczady
- Warnings and Dangers in Bieszczady
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bieszczady
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Bieszczady?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bieszczady
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Prague Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Poland Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Buzyska Intro, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Norton Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Salamis/Konstantia City-Site Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Zakopane Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Zamosc Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.