"The Nazi's second largest extermination camp" Treblinka by cheekykev
Treblinka Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 23 photos
Treblinka is situated about 100 km north east of Warsaw. The village itself is a small place and lies several kilometres from the two camps which bear its name. The first camp, a penal camp, opened in the summer of 1941 and operated until July 1944. During this time some 20 000 people, mainly Poles, passed through - something like half of them dying of starvation or torture, or being shot dead.
The second camp, the extermination camp, was set up in July 1942, existing until November 1943. During this time 800 000 Jews from 10 European countries were murdered there.
Treblinka has no museum as such, and the only remains of the camps are some foundation stones in the area of the penal camp. As a result, a visit here allows you the time and space for your imagination to wrestle with the scale of what happened.
The monument stands on the site where the gas chambers operated. At the centre stands a monolithic grave stone, around which stand 17 000 stones (representing the number of people murdered per day in the gas chambers at the height of the slaughter), many bearing the names of towns from which the victims were transported.
cheekykev's Related Pages
Treblinka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Troubled Times In Treblinka"
- "The Nazi's second largest extermination camp"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Treblinka
- Transportation in Treblinka
- Warnings and Dangers in Treblinka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Treblinka
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Treblinka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Treblinka
Photos in TreblinkaSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Prague Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Poland Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Buzyska Intro, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Norton Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Salamis/Konstantia City-Site Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Zakopane Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Zamosc Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.