"Padua of the east" Zamosc by cheekykev
Zamosc Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 42 photos
Zamosc dates from 1580 when it was issued with its charter by Jan Zamoyski.
Zamoyski, Chancellor and Commander in Chief of the crown, designed the town as a cultural and trade centre (it was situated on important trade routes between Kiev, Krakow, Lwow and Lublin), as well as an impreganble fortress.
Since then this UNESCO world heritage city (it joined the list in 1992) has had a colourful and tragic history.
Zamosc was long home to a significant Jewish population.
By the mid-19th century Jews made up 60% of the town's population, and by the eve of World War 2 there were 12000 Jewish citizens. The tragic events which followed changed all of this.
The past still echoes on - in the streets of the old town there are several reminders, including the well-preserved synagogue.
Rosa Luksemburg, born in 1870 in what was then occupied Poland. "Red Rosa" was one of the leaders in the 1919 Spartacist Revolution in Germany which ended with her murder while in the custody of the German army. She had been the founder of the Polish Social Democratic Party and headed the left wing of the German Social Democratic Party.
- Pros:An intimate city with beautiful architecture
- Cons:Sedate nightlife for those who want to go wild
Camping Duet has several options for your stay. It caters for campers and people in motor homes, as well as offering... more travel advice
cheekykev's Related Pages
Zamosc Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jan Zamoyski"
- "Padua of the east"
- "Zamosc My City"
- "My overnight stay in Zamosc on my way to Ukraine"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zamosc
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Zamosc?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zamosc
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Prague Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Poland Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Buzyska Intro, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salamis/Konstantia City-Site Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Norton Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Zakopane Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Zamosc Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
Latest Zamosc hotel reviews
- 1 Review & Opinion