"Elmsaafir's Somalia Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Somalia by Elmsaafir

Somalia Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 350 photos

Spent three months here as part of Operation Restore Hope. Got in Christmas Eve morning after a 3 day flight, landing in the souther port city of Kismayu. Sang Christmas carols with Belgian paratroopers.

We secured the Juba river valley from Kismayu up to Jilib. Lived in an old Chinese Rice farm. Our unit didn't see much action...just a few sniping incidents that were responded to with appropriate force. We were fortunately in an area that hadn't been hit as hard by the famine, and were there at a time when they still "liked" us. Bottom line, we came home with everyone we went with, and that's good.

But, that being said, this picture is why we went...

We were primarily working in the south of the country, in and around Kismayu. After a few weeks in country, we moved north to Jilib, about 60 miles away.

• Pros:Beautiful country, amazing experience
  • Cons:Lawless, chaotic, and unfortunately seemingly hopeless
  • In a nutshell:Give it some thought before going...
  • Last visit to Somalia: Dec 1992
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2003

• Bashir2005's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Dear Elmsaafir, I really enjoyed your story about the the cooking fire. I nearly fall off my chair. Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, you made my day.

• Knuppel's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 1:49 PM

-RESPONSE TO CRITICISM- this smells like patriotism.

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2006 at 8:42 PM

A most interesting page, Dave. Thanks for your service.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2006 at 8:57 AM

Dave - great and informative page of an interesting country. You didn't manage to put me off from going there, though I am not going in a hurry. Happy birthday from Finland!

• devillush's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Very interesting page. I really hope Somalia stabilizes and more people get the chance to visit this unique part of the world. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

• Sep 5, 2005 at 9:59 AM

u saw somalia and u saw good things aboutit,right. U also saw some things u didnt like. Do u think u have any solution that can help somalia to regain its prosperity? ANY WAY Thanks for commenting so well on a country that people blindly critisize

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2005 at 3:10 PM

I guess you could could consider warlords as a tourist trap! Very interesting page Dave, good to hear all who arrived left safely too. Thanks for the insight (~_~)

• travelife's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2004 at 11:40 AM

Educational and informative...

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2004 at 8:00 AM

very nice page! would love to go there one day.

• Mar 7, 2004 at 4:46 PM

hello i am a journalist doing a story on tourism in somalia. please contact me asap if you have a chance jsiegel@ucsc.edu

Elmsaafir

“"ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST..." - J.R.R. TOLKIEN”

Badges & Stats in Somalia

Have you been to Somalia?

Latest Activity in Somalia