"AFGHANISTAN" Afghanistan by Elmsaafir
Afghanistan Travel Guide: 459 reviews and 1,136 photos
The first words I heard after the engines on our C-130 started shutting down were, "OK, Listen up!! Stay in single file line as we get off the airplane. There are still tons of land mines all around here! Welcome to Afghanistan!!"
Not real reassuring. However, it's true. Afghanistan is one of the most heavily mined countries in the world. Continually invaded, it has known little peace in the past centuries, and known little more than constant war over the past 25 years.
"When you're wounded and left on Afhanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Just roll on your rifle and blow out your brains,
And go to your Gawd like a Soldier."
- Pros:If you want adventure, there's still plenty of it here...
- Cons:If you want luxury, relaxation, and flush toilets...well, good luck...
- In a nutshell:This place is like the Wild, Wild, West
So says the Lonely Planet Guide to Central Asia's chapter on Afghanistan. Keep in mind, though, that that was written in... more travel advice
Unfortunately, due to our status, we ate only from U.S. facilities. I have no doubt that there was some good food out... more travel advice
Elmsaafir's Related Pages
Afghanistan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Afghanistan, Where I work"
- "A Hopeful Future"
- "Canuckmike Finally Makes it to Afghanistan."
- "Kabul, Jalalabad, Herat, Kunduz,Bamiyan,Mazar"
- "Incredible Afghanistan..."
- "Afghanistan after the Taliban"
- "Many guns and loads of smiles..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Afghanistan
- Hotels in Afghanistan
- Transportation in Afghanistan
- Nightlife in Afghanistan
- Restaurants in Afghanistan
- Shopping in Afghanistan
- Warnings and Dangers in Afghanistan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Afghanistan
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Afghanistan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Afghanistan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somalia Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saudi Arabia Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Afghanistan Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Israel Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue