"Alahn wa Salahn!!" Elmsaafir's Profile
I suppose it's genetics. One of my ancestors is John Colter, an Army Private who went with Lewis and Clark on the journey to the Pacific Ocean. That's could be the genesis of my love of travel. That switch, however, really didn't get turned on until I was in college, and did a short term mission trip to Belize. That week and a half exposed me to a new and different culture, and triggered what's become truly a way of life. Since then, my job as an Army officer has contributed greatly to my travels, primarily in taking me to places that aren't normally looked at as "tourist" destinations. But, travel is travel, no matter where you go. I like to think of life as one big trip...
In my opinion, travel is one of the best things in life. The opportunity to get out of one's comfort zone, and to experience far away places and different cultures is incredibly exciting and rewarding.
In an effort to get out of the country at least once per year, I've had some splendid trips. Some of these are related here. The page will gradually grow as I convert pictures to electrons. In some cases, I'll post pictures prior to elaborating on the locations. In others, I'll put some text down, before the pictures. Over time, however, I hope to chronicle some of the best times I've had on the road.
Incidentally, the above picture was taken outside of the Palace in Fez, Morocco. I consider it one of the best pictures I've ever taken. Please feel free to save it if you like, but if you decide to use it anywhere, give me credit. Elmsaafir will do...
A few of my favorite quotes...
"There are two types of men in this world. Those who stay home and those who do not." Rudyard Kipling
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges--Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. GO!!" Rudyard Kipling
"Because it is there." George Leigh Mallory
"It is not down on any map. True places never are."
"More money, less baggage." Fred Moore
"When God made time, he made a lot of it." Arab proverb
"It is far easier to travel than to write about it." David Livingstone.
"Hunger is the tastiest spice."
"He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato
"Beer is God's way of telling us that He loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
"Beer--It's not just for breakfast any more." Me
"Beer--It's what's for dinner." Me
"Beer--The other white meat." Me
"Hello my friend! You want camel ride? For you, special price. Free to ride!! No cost to you!!"
Of course, when you want to get off the camel, it's another 3 Dinar...
Pretty cool when in every town, Jesus personally looks over it!
Pope John Paul II weighs in on tourism...
"Tourism enables people to use part of their free time to contemplate the goodness and beauty of God in his creation and, through contact with others, helps to intensify mutual dialogue and acquaintance. Thus free time and tourism can compensate for the lack of human contact that is often felt in daily life."
--Pope John Paul II, "Message for the 23rd World Tourism Day, 2002"
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 102 Reviews
- 304 Photos
- 22 Countries
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Elmsaafir and Texapina are now friends.
- created a Guam Travel Page "The Birthplace of My Lovely Wife"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Paradise Found"
updated their Personal Page "Elmsaafir's Top 5s"
- Wrote a Review Mt. Fuji in Japan Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Turkey Forum "Re: Re: Pensiyons to sleep in..."
- Commented on one of titti's Mali travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somalia Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saudi Arabia Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Afghanistan Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Israel Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos