"Challenger's Duisburg Pages" Top 5 Page for this destination Duisburg by challenger
Duisburg Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 466 photos
My place of birth and place of residence for the first 28 years of my life, I guess I should feel all misty eyed and nostalgic about Duisburg, but can’t say I was sad to move away from it eventually.
With about 550.000 people living in there, Duisburg is actually Germany’s 10th biggest city, though you wouldn’t guess it when you see the empty streets at night.
Right smack in the middle of the Ruhrgebiet - the industrial Ruhr Valley –, home of the largest inland harbour of the world and originally dominated by steel factories and heavy industry that have now gone bust, this is not necessarily a favourite holiday resort for most people.
Duisburg, however, is an ideal place to stay when you can’t find accommodation in Duesseldorf or any other city in the area. The airport is as far away from Duisburg as it is from Duesseldorf and public transport is pretty fast, affordable and reliable.
You may also not necessarily think so when visiting the city, but Duisburg is actually very well regarded amongst the people living in it. Despite high unemployment and a general lack of having sweet eff all to do, most of its citizens appreciate the cleanliness and relative safety of its streets and are quite often very proud of being a “Duisburger”. Having nothing majorly exciting happening on your doorsteps here seems to be considered a virtue for a city to call home.
So while you may not be itching to get there anytime soon, should you ever end up here, you can make the best of it provided you follow my little VT survival kit here.
- Cons:Pretty drab looking and unexciting
- In a nutshell:You're stranded in Duisburg? Poor sod!
Located slightly on the outskirts of town, the Kartoffelkiste is Duisburg’s oldest restaurant, dating back as far as... more travel advice
The Duisburg Zoo is an absolute must see if you’re in or around Duisburg. It is on huge premises and is one of the... more travel advice
challenger's Related Pages
Duisburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Surprising Ruhrpot"
- "Challenger's Duisburg Pages"
- "Don't diss Duisburg!"
- "Living in Duisburg"
- "Duisburg - Europe's biggest inland port!"
- "Duisburg...where the whales live...."
- "Duisburg - Where the Ruhr kisses the Rhein"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Duisburg
- Hotels in Duisburg
- Transportation in Duisburg
- Nightlife in Duisburg
- Restaurants in Duisburg
- Shopping in Duisburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Duisburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Duisburg
- 18 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Duisburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Duisburg
Photos in DuisburgSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Algarve Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cork Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Duisburg Intro, 18 reviews, 15 photos
- Malta Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Memphis Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Michelstadt Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue