"Kandersteg" Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg by eurotravels

Kandersteg Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 291 photos

If you are wanting to stay in/around the Bernese Oberland/Jungfrau area take a look at the classic resorts of Wengen, Murren, Interlaken etc but before you decide I would also recommend that you consider the village of Kandersteg (information site www.kandersteg.ch). Our hotel was the Bernerhof. 260 chf for a double room half board with a view that would take some beating. They have a very good web site www.bernerhof.ch. I have put some of my own pictures in the Travelogue “Kandersteg”. Transport links are very good as it is at the start of the Lotschberg tunnel, but the traffic for the tunnel is diverted out of town so it is still very peaceful. The Oeschinensee is on your doorstep.
2003 -Well, we said we wanted to go back and in August we did. After some travelling in the area we still feel that Kandersteg is one of the best places to stay. You feel safe and secure, knowing that no-one is out to rob or rip you off.
This year we returned with our own paragliding equipment and ran off the Allmenalp - 2000 feet (600m) above the village. Please see the travellogue for pictures.

The Oeschinensee

The Oeschinensee is a very beautiful lake and a great place to start a walk to the Blumlisalp and it’s glaciers. If you take food there is a public barbeque built into a rest area at the side of the lake (look for the totem pole - and perhaps the smoke!).
You take a short cable car journey then a short walk to get there. Anyone staying in Kandersteg receives a guest card that provides discounts on the cable cars. There is more information on the website www.kandersteg.ch

• Pros:Absolutely stunning views, quiet and peaceful with good transport links
  • Cons:Pretty expensive.
  • In a nutshell:We had a relaxing and extremely enjoyable stay and would love to go back.
  • Last visit to Kandersteg: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2005

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2005 at 5:57 AM

I keep an eye on Kandersteg through the Bernerhof's webcam. Looks like your room was right by the camera!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2005 at 11:00 AM

wonderful area, greatshots, I think you like cows too, right!!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 5:10 AM

I now know how brave you are for paragliding off that clifftop! Page is finished now

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2004 at 1:23 PM

Well, if we weren't tempted before, we will be now! My only emotion about your pics is envy.

• Feb 14, 2004 at 1:18 AM

i love this town. camped out though, to save money on pricey hotels. great page!

• Waxbag's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2003 at 11:12 AM

Your shots are really great! I love The Oeschinensee trail and the glacier. It is one of the most spectacular trails in Switzerland.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2003 at 12:08 PM

Kandersteg is a great option for switz as you aptly point out; great pictures; its good you are following up your lesson closer to home in the Peak District. Happy Flights, I look forward to pictures of England's Big Ones from ms eurotraveller in the sky!

• orlikins's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2003 at 1:23 PM

fantastic tips&pics!

• May 1, 2003 at 2:05 AM

Excellant presentation....simply superb...Lot of useful and relaible information..Nice tips and phtographs...Really useful to a traveller..

• truus_s's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2003 at 7:29 AM

WOW!!Kandersteg!!I love this place..we were there in 1999..so beautifull for hiking!!thanks for the beautifull photos..i have alone a video!!not phpotos!!

Badges & Stats in Kandersteg

Have you been to Kandersteg?

Latest Activity in Kandersteg