"Paragliding with Verbier Summits" Top 5 Page for this destination Verbier by eurotravels
Verbier Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 81 photos
We've been back to Switzerland again (I know, we're getting predictable!). Haven't done much walking this year, we've taken to the skies instead.
I've only recently obtained my UK licence to paraglide and within the first hour of post qualification flying managed to trash my glider on a barbed wire fence, so confidence was pretty low. Despite that, the team from "Verbier Summits" helped me to get in the air again and enjoying a few 4000 feet top to bottom flights. Marvellous.
My husband had a little more experience and achieved over 20 flights in active thermic conditions - going up hundreds of metres above takeoff rather than the constant downwards flights that we're more used to!. He couldn't believe he could have learnt so much in the first week. Thanks to the team he claims to have had the best 10 days of his life (mmm, wonder where the honeymoon is in the rankings?).
Even if you're not an independent flier look them up as they do spectacular tandem flights for 170CHF, aiming to keep you in the air for over 30 minutes (10-15 is more the norm).
Any non flying guests shouldn't feel left out as there is a good public sports centre in the village and walks of all categories.
Please take a look at the Travelogue (link at the bottom of this page) for more details.
Verbier benefits from a localised microclimate, providing for the sunniest and driest weather in Switzerland (in common with the nearby Rhone valley). We enjoyed a week of solid sunshine, to then arrive back home into the UK to be met by the coldest July day on record.
Once again we had a wonderful time, my mum and dad flew on a plane for the first time then followed that with tandem flights with Mike. They loved it! All the family enjoyed the walks and local scenery - showing that Verbier is not just about skiing and extreme sports.
- Pros:Swiss hospitality, efficiency, cleanliness etc and massive views.
- Cons:Some slightly touristy restaurants, but nothing of significance.
- In a nutshell:Great for walking, even better for paragliding, not just a skiing resort.
Verbier hosts a classical music festival in mid to end of July. It's way too sophisticated for my musical tastes - I'm... more travel advice
We stayed at the Chalet provided by "Verbier Summits". We had booked to stay in a 5 star chalet and, whilst our first... more travel advice
eurotravels' Related Pages
Verbier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Verbier, an Off the Beaten Slope destination..."
- "Paragliding with Verbier Summits"
- "Summer trekking, winter skiing"
- "Verbier and the Swiss Alps"
- "Powder Skiing in Verbier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Verbier
- Hotels in Verbier
- Transportation in Verbier
- Nightlife in Verbier
- Restaurants in Verbier
- Warnings and Dangers in Verbier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Verbier
- 10 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Verbier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Verbier
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 21 reviews, 13 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 19 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peak District National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bolzano Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sheffield Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verbier Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Verbier hotel reviews
- The Bunker
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 15, 2013