"Abu Simbel Temple" Temple of Abu Simbel by raultram
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 918 photos
Abu Simbel is a temple built by Ramesses II (c.1279-1213 B.C.E.) in ancient Nubia, where he wished to demonstrate his power and his divine nature. Four colossal (65 feet/20 meters high) statues of him sit in pairs flanking the entrance. The head and torso of the statue to the left of the entrance fell during ancient times, probably the result of an earthquake. This temple faces the east, and Re-Horakhty, one manifestation of the sun god, is shown inside the niche directly above the entrance. The alignment of the temple is such that twice a year the sun’s rays reach into the innermost sanctuary to illuminate the seated statues of Ptah, Amun-Re, Ramesses II, and Re- Horakhty.
The temple was cut out of the sandstone cliffs above the Nile River in an area near the Second Cataract. When the High Dam was being constructed in the early 1960s, international cooperation assembled funds and technical expertise to move this temple to higher ground so that it would not be inundated by the waters of Lake Nasser.
raultram's Related Pages
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Went back to Egypt in May 2005"
- "Abu Simbel Temples"
- "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
- "Temple of Abu Simbel"
- "The Amazing Temples of Abu Simbel"
- "Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South"
- "Abu Simbel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Hotels in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Transportation in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Nightlife in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Restaurants in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Shopping in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Warnings and Dangers in Temple of Abu Simbel
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel
- 0 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel
Photos in Temple of Abu SimbelSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Aswan Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zwolle Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Groningen Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Den Bosch Intro, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Al Karnak Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue