"England" England by barryg23

England Travel Guide: 64,642 reviews and 149,324 photos

Sassenach

England has been my home for over a year now, since I moved here in Sepember 2001. More specifically, I live in Oxford, a relatively small town in Oxfordshire, located about an hour North-West of London. Coming from Ireland, it didn't take long at all to adjust to the English way of life. England is a good country to live in and I feel very much at home here. While the Irish and the English haven't had a great relationship historically, I love living here and have met so many great persons.

London

London is most likely to be the first port of call for most visitors to England. It's is Europe largest city, with a very diverse population and many things to see. Many people spend their life living in London without ever seeing all the city - hopefully my VT London page will show you some of the good things London has to offer.

Elsewhere

While London is a must-see city, and any visitor could spend a long time exploring it, don't forget to travel further afield too as there is plenty for the visitor to see in England.

Since my move to Oxford, I've tried to travel around England as much as possible. I've been to many of the major towns in the South & Midlands and have really enjoyed seeing them all.

I've made pages for most of the places visited and my top five
recommended English towns
(aside from London) would be:

1. Oxford
2. Bath
3. Cambridge
4. Stratford-upon-Avon
5. Winchester

Clearly, there is a Southern bias here. I do hope to visit more of the North soon!

• Pros:Real Ale, social scene, friendly people
  • Cons:Rain, cost of living,
  • In a nutshell:So much to see and much of it rarely seen
  • Intro Updated Jan 20, 2003

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2004 at 12:44 PM

Very interesting overview and great suggestions! Thanks for music bands, wow, I don't know Blur - Parklife, I will look for it...

• GlobalMatt's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2003 at 12:18 PM

Great top 10 list of albums! I would have to add Radiohead's OK Computer to that list, though. That album is a pioneering masterpiece!!

• alycat's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2003 at 9:59 AM

What a fantastic snap with overview of central london!!! excellent sports page

• John_P_LSU's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2003 at 7:29 AM

This is probably my next major foreign destination. I can't wait! Your pages look very informative, nice work.

• scrooge1947's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2003 at 1:25 AM

Lots of history here Bath, the universities and a well put to-gether sports tips.

• Sarita76's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2003 at 2:26 AM

Hey Barry, this is a wonderful page :-) Your tips are very very good!

• banshee11's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2003 at 4:59 AM

well done! wonderful page. makes me miss england...

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2003 at 6:32 AM

Fantastic page Baz i love the tip on closing times in the pubs, open them up all night, and every night.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2003 at 1:45 PM

Great page and pictures specially the Cathedrals and sports!!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2003 at 7:09 AM

Barry, you have made a great England page! It remindes me that there is years since I visited England last time. It is a wonderful country and I thought I was going to return more often then I have done.

barryg23 Used To Live Here!

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in England

Have you been to England?

Latest Activity in England